Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOG: Gazelle 50th Commemorative Fly-in, Middle Wallop 08/04/17

The following log of this event was posted on the Yahoo Copters Group by David Stevens, and is reproduced here with his kind permission (David is awaiting his approval as aviafora member).

Seen at Middle Wallop during the Gazelle 50th Fly-in were:

REG MODEL
    4072 Aerospatiale SA.342M Gazelle
    4207 Aerospatiale SA.342L1 Gazelle
    G-AKSY Taylorcraft Auster AOP.V
    G-ANIE Taylorcraft Auster AOP.V
    G-APAF Auster 5A
    G-AWSW Beagle-Auster D.5 194 Husky
    G-BJXR Auster AOP.9
    G-BKVK Auster AOP.9
    G-BUDL Taylorcraft Auster AOP.III
    G-BURR Auster AOP.9
    G-CBGZ Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.2
    G-CBNX Montgomerie-Bensen B-8MR
    G-CBSK Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.3
    G-CDNO Westland WA.341 Gazelle AH.1
    G-CEHR Auster AOP.9
    G-CTFS Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.2
    G-GAZA Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle
    G-HUEZ Hughes 369E (MD-500E)
    G-KETH Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II
    G-MARL AutoGyro Europe/Rotorsport UK Calidus
    G-OAFA Reims/Cessna F172M Skyhawk
    G-ROYM Robinson R44 Raven II
    G-SIVJ Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.2
    G-ZZLE Westland WA.341 Gazelle HT.2
    N341AS Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle
    N505HA Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle
    N901B Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle
    XL812 Saunders-Roe Skeeter AOP.12
    XX405 Westland WA.341 Gazelle AH.1
    XZ320 Westland WA.341 Gazelle AH.1
    YU-HEY Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle
    YU-HPZ Aerospatiale SA.342J Gazelle
    ZB692 Westland WA.341 Gazelle AH.1

Pictures of the heli’s at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84175852@N02/

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for these data, Jos. I was wonder about serials of those two ALAT participants

Great to hear David Stevens becoming Aviaforan!!

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      Great stuff Jos!

17 Gazelles, not bad, not bad at all!

David's account is now approved and he is most welcome to post his photos on the thread.

• A Tale of Fourteen Gazelles!

Gaz tails as captured by Tim Robinson at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      This is fantastic! What a nice poster this could be! I wonder if Mr. Robinson would mind to borrow his photos for such purpose

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure he would be thrilled!

• More from the epic Gazelle meet at Middle Wallop!

G-CDNO, G-CTFS & G-GAZA as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Martin Eames)

N341AS, G-CBGZ & N505HA as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Martin Eames)

Comment

• Elipix, any up-date on the change of ownership status on your former neighbour G-OGAZ?

Comment

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes G-OGAZ is now registered to MW Helicopters Ltd, Stapleford Tawney, 8.4.17 in sunny Essex (was rumoured to be going to the Caribbean ?)

Also of interest G-WCRD is still currently registered with the CAA although it is thought to be YU-HOT now.

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure whats going on here ? Posted this earlier but it seems to have either been deleted or gone missing... It was visible on the site earlier ?

G-OGAZ is now registered to MW Helicopters Ltd, Stapleford

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Elipix. Please let us know when eventually this bird hits the high seas.

Perhaps you and Jos can collaborate in encouraging the Serbian aviation authority to keep their records up-to-date!

I am seeing two posts above. We have (thankfully) been 'gremlin free' for a while now on the forum (when it comes to the software) and hoping it stays that way!

• Well what an effort that was!

Taking the last few days to just relax and take all the comments in on the internet and Social Media.....So it seems it was a success.

We had 1200-1300 people there on the day which was also blessed with the most amazing weather which no doubt helped ticket sales. The Museum of Army flying had a bumper day in the shop and cafe and stand to receive a large donation from us.

Thank you to Aviafora members Xavier, Arnaud, Steve and Kurt for coming, and we hope Danny gets better soon and that we get to see N341GG in the UK soon.

The French Army Air Corps was my highlight and was even touch an go as to whether they were actually going to get to leave Le Touquet and cross the channel after UK Border Force threw a spanner in the works, also the 5 Regt AAC bird from Aldergrove in Northern Ireland had a wobble in the morning and went tech but thankfully the crew didn't give up and managed to get another cab serviceable and made the trip just arriving 10mins after sunset at Middle Wallop. A few cabs cancelled on Sat AM but all in all I think it went well.

Thank you to everyone on here who aided in getting me contact details for Gazelle owners, chased Gazelle owners to reply or send me documents and a special thank you to Boris who designed the logo which we have adopted as this year's crest and it is currently being made into patches, T-shirts, mugs, pens etc.

I didn't take many photos as being the main Threshold contact between the event and the AACen I was kept very busy. I did get time to shoot some departures, so when I have 5 mins to edit them I will post them up.

There have been some lovely images already posted here and all over social media.

This video captured by a friend shows the French heading back into the base for overnight parking after the fly-in.

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats once again, Andy! You guys did a great job!

Btw, any chance to obtain a patch of the 50th Commemorative Fly-in?

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy, many congratulations on what was clearly a super event!

This occasion has brought enjoyment to a host of photographers and aviation enthusiasts, and we are all greatly indebted to you and to those who have supported you in various ways.

Great thanks to the Gaz owners who attended, without whose support this event wouldn't have been possible. Hopefully they also had an enjoyable day!

Well done to 5 Regt for not giving up!

Beers all round when eventually we meet!

• Gaz 50 Overview

YU-HEY as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: SPTA Military Photography)

N901B as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Bob Wood, SPTA Military Photography)

Comment

• If only there were more Alouettes!

Comment

• Seniors among Aviaforans might recall ABC's short lived TV show Max Headroom.

Well, a Stretched Gazelle played a role in the show and I wonder if anybody can help to find out ID of the aircraft.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Perhaps this can be described as a 'hard top' Gaz!

The last Gaz we saw with the roof entirely painted over was on page 59 with one of the Griffair Gazelles
            > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=5250#post5250

All okay .. until in a tight turn in poor wx!

• GFLYER
            GFLYER commented
            Editing a comment
            Was N76WH which I also flew. Main pilot was Nigel Turner who started Heli-LA >> Heli-USA was a AAC (US) Captain

• On this day 1968 first flight of the Gazelle with the Fenestron #SA340 002.

Comment

• xbdt
            xbdt commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I can see, they used the NAT rotor head without drag dampers at that time.

• xbdt
            xbdt commented
            Editing a comment
            Blade track & balance is the same for all 3 or more bladed helicopters. (2 blade is different as you need to adjust lead/lag).
            procedure:
            - balancing on the ground or hover (accelerometer mounted onto MGB or cabin ceiling)
            - adjust horizontal balance with lead shot in the containers (inside the main blade retention pins)
            - adjust static tracking of the sleeves according to each blade attached to corresponding sleeve (initial 12° + DELTA written onto the blade)
            - bolt reflective targets onto the end of each blade (3 different shapes)
            - a magnetic or optical pickup is also needed so the tracking device is in sync with main rotor RPM
            - in hover, aim the strobe to the end of the blades and notice the spread of the 3 blades
            - for large corrections, adjust the pitch links
            - for small corrections, adjust the trim tabs
            - do the same for cruise flight at 125kts because it is at this speed that it should be smooth
            It needs time and experience to get a smooth ship, normally about 5 runs are needed to achieve a good result.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie mille XB, much appreciated.

This procedure sounds the same as for most aircraft including the Ecureuil.

Prior to encountering Gazelle enthusiasts online, the only time the Gaz ever came to mind was while performing blade-tracking flights. I always imagined how convenient it would be if one could brake the rotor while the mechanic did his stuff instead of having to log half-a-dozen starts for a series of 10 min flights.

As you say, tracking for the cruise is crucial, especially with the two-bladers, but even with the 500, the difference between a well tracked and poorly tracked m/r is very noticeable.

• Gaz 50 Departures

Including .. The X-Craft, 505, 901 and G-CTFS!

A nicely controlled lift to the hover by XB in the X-Craft .. and a wonderfully exuberant departure by Arnaud in 505!

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
            If only there were more Alouettes!
            The AAC historic flight Alouette moved on to new pastures 8 days earlier for overhaul and eventual return to the UK.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              While it is disappointing that the AAC would dispose of members of their historic flight, it is good to hear that this bird is being kept aloft.

In terms of UK-based Alouette II's do you have an idea as to how many airworthy examples remain. I am aware of the Swiss Air Force craft (V-54) G-BVSD, the AAC bird XR379 (G-CICS) and there was also a Hungarian registered bird (aside from Nigel's, RIP) HA-IDL.

• How to describe the Gaz .. in pictures!

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              How about to add this into equation?

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha ha .. perfetto!

• SA341G G-UZEL (cn 1413) as rendered by MP Design Studio

Comment

While it is disappointing that the AAC would dispose of members of their historic flight, it is good to hear that this bird is being kept aloft.

In terms of UK-based Alouette II's do you have an idea as to how many airworthy examples remain. I am aware of the Swiss Air Force craft (V-54) G-BVSD, the AAC bird XR379 (G-CICS) and there was also a Hungarian registered bird (aside from Nigel's, RIP) HA-IDL.
              There are two 'N' reg Alouettes in the UK plus the ex-Swiss one you mentioned.

G-CICS is going to be placed on the Hungarian register after which she will live at Crabtree. There are also three existing Hungarian Alouette II's.

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Fantastic Stefano, bravo!

The three existing Hungarian Alouette II's are these UK-based and does this include HA-IDL?

• >>> Important Alouette News here. <<<

Highclere Castle as photographed from ZB627 on 7th April 2017 (Photo: Michael)

SA341C XX436 (cn WA1402) as photographed from ZB627 over the North Wessex Downs on 7th April 2017 (Photo: Michael)

Comment

Fantastic Stefano, bravo!

The three existing Hungarian Alouette II's are these UK-based and does this include HA-IDL?
                Yes that includes IDL.

There's one in Ireland too!

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah, grazie Stefano!

• Does anyone know if anyone made any patches for the 50th Anniversary fly-in as there are a few owners who have asked if they can get some?

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Si, Andy is having some made up based on the design of Zis' friend, the Serbian Gazelle mechanic Boris.

Andy, would you be able to send a batch of patches up to Crab Tree Farm when they are ready please! Grazie.

• N48284
                  N48284 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve, patches are on order, I'll put up our website page when it's ready as there's lots more items being made. and I'll text you when I have the patches.

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Look forward to seeing the merchandise and buying some.

• YU-HPZ & YU-HEY as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: AeroResource)

Comment

• >>>> Special Offer Exclusive to Members of Aviafora <<<<

In the year of the 50th Anniversary of the Gazelle, one of our members has commissioned a delightful and beautifully embroidered Gazelle patch.

This patch depicts the Gazelle in lovely orange and yellow tones reminiscent of the classic Gazelles from the 70's.

This attractive patch is available exclusively to members of Aviafora at a special 'gift price' of just £2.50 + post and is payable through PayPal.

To order this unique 'HeliAstral' patch, ideal for clothing, hobby bags, luggage, memorabilia walls and collections, sign-in to your Aviafora account and send Avia member md600driver a message.

This patch will make a great addition to the Gaz 50 patch and will doubtless become a classic item of Gazelle memorabilia given its fine detail and warm colours.

Enjoy!

Comment

Comment

• Some more reflections from the Middle Wallop Fly-in.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very nice XB!

• 901 & G-CTFS

N901B as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Paul Johnson Flightline UK)

G-CTFS as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: Paul Johnson Flightline UK)

As you can see, we still have 'Gaz 50' material coming in but, please don't get 'Gaz 50 fatigue' as this was a unique occasion and there are yet some more photos and videos for us to peruse!

Comment

• Mark’s Mining Legacy Lives on in Cumbria

This month marks 20 years since the late Mark Weir reopened the working slate mine and adventure attraction at the head of Honister Pass. His partner, Jan Wilkinson, tells Michaela Robinson-Tate what’s next - and what Mark would think of Honister today.

In the six years since Jan Wilkinson lost her partner, Mark Weir, in a helicopter accident there have been plenty of good and bad times at Honister that she’s wanted to share with him.

I ask Jan if there’s one occasion that stands out but realise too late that it’s a crass question: “One? No, there’s bloody thousands,” she says. “Every day, it didn’t matter if he was back at two o’clock or four o’clock in the morning, we would have a chat.”

HA-LFB at Honister

The conversation would continue the next morning over breakfast at their home, near Loweswater, and Mark would see their three children, Prentice, Piers and Georgie Blue, off to school before heading back to Honister, often in his Gazelle helicopter.

That happy family life was brought to an abrupt end in March 2011 when Mark died, aged 45, in an accident when his Gazelle crashed while trying to depart from the mine.
                        More .. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/la...4a5e49f57d3-ds

Comment

• The X-Craft & 505

N341AS as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: AeroResource)

N505HA as seen at Middle Wallop on 8th April 2017 (Photo: AeroResource)

Comment

• New Gazelle in South Africa

ZU-RMJ, Westland 341D Gazelle HT.3, c/n 1793, ex 9Q-CMF, ZA803; registered 09-Mar-2017 to Sheziphase P/L.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My oh my, South Africa has gone completely and utterly Gazelle mad!

My oh my, South Africa has gone completely and utterly Gazelle mad!
                            This one though is very old news as it has been there 6 months!

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This may be notification of the craft going on to the SA registration. Not sure.

• Rotorspot
                              Rotorspot commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Correct, she was registered to that owner on that date.

• 48 Mins of 'Shrieking Gazelles' from Gaz 50!

Comment

• SA341G EC-CMB (cn 1166) as seen in Spain in the early-to-mid 70's

Comment

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                What a nice photo! Blast from the past

• Nice shot of N341GG at Kortrijk – Wevelgem in March 26th, 2017 (Photo: Geert Diopere)

Comment

• Glad to see that our French friends didn't forget to mark the anniversary!

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Bravo les Français!
                              Working...
                              X