No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read about Siberian artist Evgeny Alyokhin and the 'Russian Robinson' on the R44 Thread. Watch Evgeny re-paint this aircraft and see his post-repaint video of the Russian Robinson in flight over Siberia.
    • See an Irish Air Corps AW139 in snow near Athlone earlier this month on our Movements thread.
    • Did you know that the RAF had Hawker Hurricanes stationed within Russia's arctic circle during the Second World War? Find out more on our WW2 thread.
    • Avia member 'Nosco' has posted a lovely wintery shot from his photograph collection of a Swiss Alouette III from 1988. Check it out on Alouettes & Lamas.
    • See some lovely shots of a Hiller Soloy in British Columbia, a great shot by Gilles Paccalet of French JetRanger F-HUBA at Courchevel as well as a North American 'Astar' captured in Alaska at the end of last month. All on our Winter Flying thread.
    • See Italian Hughes 500D I-SHRA in snow at Corvara, wearing 'C' model paintwork and check out the 'Christmas Hughes' on the Classic Hughes thread.
    And last, but by no means least, no Christmas could be complete on Aviafora without visiting the Courchevel Citation!

It is a Christmas tradition among Aviafora's members and readers to watch (at least once)

the 'Courchevel Citation'

Enjoy!

Comment

Comment

• SA341G N341AS (cn 1042) in flight over Zomergem in Belgium

I don't have a date for the above air-to-air clip of the X-Craft, but hoping XB can assist.

SA342L KAF 523 (cn 1379) as seen in Kuwait City on 13th December 2017 (Photos by Alexander Melnikov)

Seen attending the 2017 Gulf Defence & Aerospace Exhibition.

SA342M GEX as seen at Étain-Rouvres Air Base on 30th November 2017

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          Video is from May 18th 2015, filmed from a A600 Talon helicopter.

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, grazie XB, lovely stuff!

• Kuwaiti Gazelles

Many sources report the Kuwait Gazelles as SA342K models. Some pictures (including the above of KAF-523, as well as one of KAF-517 (below) show these two labelled as SA342L models. Have these always been SA342L's, or can they have been upgraded from K to L models?

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          One presumes that Aérospatiale delivered a number of 'L' models which were then amended to 'K' model specification, for both 1379 and 1349 while carrying the 'L' designation have sand filters, and being 342's, are fitted with the Astazou 14. These components, the upgraded engine and the sand filter, were as I understand it, the main features of the 'K' model.

• Russian Gazelle Cancelled

According to the latest Russian aircraft register (dated 26-Dec-2017) Soko 341G Gazelle RA-05702 (c/n 058) has been cancelled. This happened somewhere in the past 4 weeks.

Anyone having an idea about her fate? She was for sale in 2016.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, she featured on 'Gazelles for Sale' in February of 2016 (see link below) but have heard little of her since.

We do now have several Gazelle owners from Russia reading 'Shrieking Gazelles' but, I'm afraid it is still quite a 'trick' to discover details relating to a number of airframes. We'll get there in the end.

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=5109#post5109

• A New Gazelle .. for a New Year?

Find out soon .. on SG!

Comment

• SA341G C-FEDG as seen in Latornell (south of Grande Prairie), Alberta, Canada on 14th December 1978 (Photo: Steve Aubury)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
          Found some more pictures of this beauty (N247CK) at
          https://shootaviation.com/aircraft/f...lle-helicopter
          The exact identity is still a mystery.
          I remember when she was painted in those colours. The owner wanted her overall white, very similar to mine. However, he always wanted a 342 stretch with autopilot, and which he eventually got.

Comment

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post
            I remember when she was painted in those colours. The owner wanted her overall white, very similar to mine. However, he always wanted a 342 stretch with autopilot, and which he eventually got.
            Great stuff Stefano!

I don't suppose you happen to know her identity?

I've heard two suggestions so far, G-EHUP and G-OLDH. I suppose GazEngineer would know seeing as she seems to be an MW bird.

In 2014 Zis posted the photo below of the same craft being displayed (minus rotorhead) at the Excel Centre:

More Snow Gaz ..

SA342L1 E7-ABI (cn 139) as seen refuellling (perhaps near Sokolac in Bosnia in 2012, to be confirmed)

Comment

• GazEngineer
              GazEngineer commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s G-OLDH she is currently being overhauled

• GazEngineer
              GazEngineer commented
              Editing a comment
              Also the picture isn’t at the excel centre she is in lakeside shopping centre in that photo

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for confirming this GazEn, much appreciated!

• A nice vintage postcard showing 705 Sqdn Navy Sharks Gazelles flying over St. Michaels Mount in Cornwall.

Comment

• I wonder if we will brake the record from January 1st, 2017 (most users ever online on Aviafora) this evening!

Comment

• N341WC, a Gazelle with 'a licence to kill' taken at Kissimmee, FL in 1991 (Photo: Sid Nanson)

Comment

• Elipix wrote: I'm convinced its G-OLDH the photo on MW helicopters website matches perfectly and is listed for sale although not giving registration. Thats my thoughts until proven otherwise.
                  That this is the same bird that MW is offering up for sale is beyond doubt (see photo below), she even carries the Excel branding.

I am fairly sure that she isn't ex G-EHUP as she is now flying as YU-HWF which we have seen around the UK at various times in recent years.

Of G-OLDH, her CofA seems to have expired in 2011/12 and her insurance received a 'No Flight' declaration in 2016, and indeed we've seen no airborne shots of her anywhere.

As Stefano mentioned, she has a similar finish to '901' in that she appears to be coated with pearlised paint (compare with another MW white stretch G-CDJT below).

MW's pearlised white stretched 341 at Stapleford

MW stretched 341 G-CDJT in plain white at Stapleford (Photo: Elipix)

Comment

• Jensen Jordan Lubowa
                    Editing a comment
                    Is that MW gazelle still flying?

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As far as I know, yes.

• SA341G G-BAZL (WA1073) as seen at Southampton Heliport in 1973 (Photo: Ron Smith)

Comment

• Sav wrote: I am fairly sure that she isn't ex G-EHUP as she is now flying as YU-HWF which we have seen around the UK at various times in recent years.
                    Speaking of YU-HWF, would you like to fly over Jostedal Glacier in Norway in a Gazelle?

Alexander with YU-HWF over the Jostedal Glacier in Norway

Alexander with YU-HWF by Lake Trollfjordvatnet in Norway

Alexander with YU-HWF in Tromso, Norway (with commentary)

Comment

• RA-1347G in Russia February 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
                        Does anyone know the RAL number for the green colour in the Armee de Terre colour scheme? Info requested for a modeller on a scale model forum. Thanks.

500 Fan.

Comment

• Olive Drab TS5 or TS28
                          Matt Black TS6
                          Red Brown TS1 or Nato Brown TS62

Comment

• SA341B XX390 (WA1298) as seen at RAF Leuchars on 16th May 1979 (Photo: Ian Howat)

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a photo of one of the British Army (or Marines) Gazelles in flight with the handling wheels mounted on the skids (as above), if indeed they flew with them in this configuration. If so, I wonder whether there were any related vibration issues?

Judging by the colour of her exhaust, she looks to have been newly delivered, but the records have her as manufactured four years earlier in 1975.

Unfortunately, this CBAS bird decided to take a swim in a lake in Northern Ireland (Lough Foyle) a year after this photo, thankfully though the three on board survived her aquatic adventure!

Comment

• Cyprus AF's SA.342L1 marked '354' sitting at Paphos International on November 8th, 2017 (Photo: Fred Willemsen)

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post

SA341B XX390 (WA1298) as seen at RAF Leuchars on 16th May 1979 (Photo: Ian Howat)

I wouldn't mind getting hold of a photo of one of the British Army (or Marines) Gazelles in flight with the handling wheels mounted on the skids (as above), if indeed they flew with them in this configuration. If so, I wonder whether there were any related vibration issues?

I have these same brackets in stock for mounting the wheels if anyone needs any in future!

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Great stuff Stefano!

Should anyone decide to paint-up a Gaz in the old dark green and black AAC/Marines colours (above) then these skid-mounted wheels would be a nice detail to exhibit on static display at airshows etc.

• Juba Joubert flying Victor Picoto's SA341B ZU-RLH (cn WA1600) at the Kishugu Lowveld Air Show at Nelspruit Airport on 16th June 2017 (Photo: Anton Nel)

SA341D ZU-HGZ (cn 1728) as seen in South Africa on 18th December 2017 (Photo: Bruce Perkins)

Wash day for a 3/3 Squadron 'Les Félins' Gazelle on 27th October 2017

Had any of the staff at Ferranti used any sort of brush (no matter how soft the bristles) on any of the aircraft's surfaces, my late godfather would have thrown an absolute fit!

Storm in a Herzegovinan Tea Cup!

The Helicopter Service of the Republic of Srpska has found itself in the midst of a political debate following the delivery of a pop singer to a venue in Bosnia on New Year's Eve.

Apparently the opposition party are questioning whether it was appropriate for the government to make the Gazelle (E7-ABI) available for this purpose, and to which all Aviaforans replied with one voice ... YES!

https://www.rtvbn.com/3891459/pdp-tr...r-od-vlade-rs-

Comment

• More YU-HWF ..

Gaz Camping, Norwegian Style!

Alessandro demonstrates how to turn a Gaz tailboom into a tent ridge beam!

Alessandro with SA341G(S) YU-HWF (cn 1407) in Norway

Comment

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                This is hilarious! Clever as well. Adaptability in it's best

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If you remove the lower portion of the rear seats you can create an opening to the boot, and using this area you could fit a double sleeping bag, so you could in fact sleep two inside the bird plus some accommodated under the boom. Only thing is, in the morning you would have to wipe down the condensation on the inside of the cab windows before flying!

Reminds me of Dick in the early 80's https://postimg.org/image/4buycqkkj/

• 1307 & 1509

Following on from post 3006 above:

The pearl white Gaz seen is Zis' photo of 2014 and in the photo/s posted more recently, has now been confirmed as 1307 G-OLDH. We are also informed that 1307 is presently undergoing overhaul, which presumably means she may have a new owner this year?

Unconfirmed reports suggest that the recent photos of this craft (an example of which is below) were in preparation for her appearance in a film, possibly from the Kingsman franchise.

SA341G(S) 1307 on location during her recent photo shoot for appearance in a movie later this year

We also showed another white MW stretched Gaz G-CDJT, and here is a shot of her when she was Stateside:

SA341G(S) 1509 Stateside

Comment

• More Snow Gazelles ..

SA342J D-HOPP (cn 1695) in Germany (Photo: Detlef Böntgen)

D-HOPP of course now being a member of Benegaz.

HA-LFA in Hungary in January 2011

Comment

• While no longer as popular (especially in the UK) as it once was, the Epiphany is a significant Christian celebration
                                  which remains a public holiday in numerous countries.

To learn more about the Epiphany, click here.

Comment

• Zishelix
                                    Zishelix commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks Sav! Lovely greeting card

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Prego Zis!

• HELIATICA LLC is a Russian privately owned company supporting general aviation, commercial and state helicopter operators. The company core competencies are supply of spare parts, distribution in Russia and CIS of STC mission equipment, maintenance and training solutions from Western providers.

I wonder what's this box on the skid of their Gazelle?

See post #33 on this page: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...for-sale/page2
                                  Last edited by Zishelix; 6th January 2018, 16:59.

Comment

• Compressor Wash Day!

Comment

• Zishelix
                                      Zishelix commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Nice Gazelle herd, XB!

Btw, what's those sticker on the N700SH's stabiliser fin?

• Savoia
                                      Savoia commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Wonderful to see some of the Benegaz birds after such a long time, bravo XB!

• ~ Merry Christmas II ~

Wishing all of our Russian readers a very Merry Christmas!

To find out why Russia celebrates Christmas Day on 7th January, click here.

Comment

• Elizabeth Ann (one of the greatest names in the world! ) Flies Aboard G- VOIP

Also, another clip from Alessandro's Norwegian expedition:

Don't forget to like and follow our FB page!

Comment

Working...
                                      X