Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the 'Bandit Nightmare'

SA342M Gazelle Viviane 'Bandit Nightmare' (Photo: Marc-Eric Minard)

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Congrats to the artist! An eye-catching machine for this Tiger Meet season

• G-VOIP

SA341D G-VOIP (WA1792) as seen at North Weald Aerodrome on 2nd May 2018 (Photo: Mark Odell)

G-VOIP's owner Eddie Coventry seen here (with hat) together with his friends.

'Nellie'

SA342J(S) N624EL (cn.1094) as seen at Issy-les-Moulineaux on 10th May 2018

SA342M Viviane 'GBJ' aka the 'Bandit Nightmare' (Photo: Marc-Eric Minard)

Zishelix wrote: Wow! Congrats to the artist!
    That compliment goes to RĂ©gis Rocca who created the design and who also painted the aircraft with the assistance of 'Harry' Bault.

Comment

• Zishelix
      Zishelix commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for info, Rico! This would be a nice addition to my collection of Gazelle drawings. I'll try to contact Mr. Rocca...

• Experimental SA-349.2 (c/n 1201) ex F-ZWRN under the covers

Comment

• Savoia
      Savoia commented
      Editing a comment
      The hydraulic and transmission oil levels look a little low!

• Well done, XB! Rare pics indeed. Not many visitors has opportunity to 'peep' inside for such details

Comment

• More ZU-RLH and more Bandit ..

SA341B ZU-RLH (WA1600) as seen at Nelspruit Airport on 12th May 2018 (Photo: Jarryd Sinovich)

SA342M GBJ as seen on 16th May 2018 (Photo: David Goovaerts)

BGJ is part of 3° RHC (3rd Combat Helicopter Regiment) based at Étain-Rouvres and has been painted in these colours for her attendance as this year's NATO Tiger Meet being held at PoznaÅ„-Krzesiny Air Base in Poland from 14-25 May 2018.

Does anyone know how many civilian Gazelles are actively operating in France besides the 'J' models N624EL and N342ET?

Comment

• I assume there are no more than few machines beside these two you mention. I'd say F-GEHB, GFCI & GKYC are still airworthy. Oops, F-GFCI operate in Italy.

Comment

• F-GFCI at Voghera Rivanazzano in August 24th, 2013 (Photo: Roberto Bianchi)

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice one Zis!

For years now the owner has been trying to sell this craft. I'm not sure what the latest is.

Btw, there is a small detail about this aircraft which potentially makes it illegal, can you guess what it is?

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            No strobe light on the tail fin?

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha, I didn't think you could miss this!

And it isn't just that there is no strobe/beacon on the tailfin specifically, but that the aircraft doesn't have a beacon anywhere, just nav lights.

The funny thing is that it has been like this for many years now.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
          Ha ha, I didn't think you could miss this!

And it isn't just that there is no strobe/beacon on the tailfin specifically, but that the aircraft doesn't have a beacon anywhere, just nav lights.

The funny thing is that it has been like this for many years now.
          Is there a legal requirement to have a strobe on the top of the tail boom?

Looks like there maybe one underneath!

There not many Gazelles flying with high skids.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Ciao Stefano! Toooo long since we heard from you last!

Probably I worded it incorrectly, because what I meant was that I don't think there is a legal requirement for a beacon to be fitted to the tailfin specifically (though that is the identified installation location of the manufacturer) but there is usually a requirement in the Air Navigation Orders/Federal Aviation Regulations (or equivalent) for an aircraft to be fitted with a functioning beacon.

Having said that, there were a string of aircraft which I regularly flew in, in the 70's and early 80's (JetRangers) on which the beacon never functioned or, in some cases, was removed and never replaced. These include the British Airways JetRanger G-AWGU and Colin Chapman's (Team Lotus) G-AYTF. There were others too!

On the JetRanger (depending on how the craft had been tracked - tail and main rotors) there could be sufficient vibration to upset the operation of these beacons. The military Kiowa had the beacon located on top of the engine cowling, just for'ard of the exhausts, while early JetRangers had beacons both on the tailfin and on the for'ard section of the belly.

Regarding F-GFCI, I have a stack of photos of this craft, including several close-ups, but have yet to see any evidence of a beacon.

• Wedding Gazelles

Flashback from page 83:

The following photos were captured while 'Gertrude' (YU-HES) was on wedding duty at Knowlton Court in Kent.

Comment

• .. and another one taken on Sept 18th 2015 at Kasteel van Leeuwergem in Belgium

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha ha, this is excellent XB, but very bad that we haven't seen this until now!

• Looks like we're in a Wedding Mood today!

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Word is that there was a wedding 'somewhere' in Europe today!

• Pre-Wedding Gazelles!

So, in our previous round of Wedding Gazelles we were able to display a yellow Gaz flying wedding duties as well as a Gaz belonging to an Avia member on wedding duty.
            I wonder — is there any way of combining these elements?

HA-LFH at Stubton Hall in Nottinghamshire in June 2012

LFH was on 'wedding duty' seen here delivering the bride with her hair in rollers!

LFH at Stubton Hall

The happy couple

All photos by Andy Hook courtesy of Zishelix.

Comment

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking all these wedding pics, let me share this life wisdom with you guys: 'Unlike man/woman, properly maintained machine would never let you down'. I hope you won't mind me these words

• Gazelle Down: Russia

A Gazelle helicopter carried out an emergency landing near the confluence of the Shevli and Uda rivers of the Tuguro-Chumikansky district, Russia.

After a hard landing, the aircraft caught fire. The occupants had time to evacuate before the helicopter caught fire. On the way to a nearby hunting lodge, one kilometer from the scene, one person allegedly had a heart attack, as a result of which he died.

Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia Statement: "During a hard landing, the aircraft ignited. People had time to evacuate before the helicopter caught fire. On the way to a nearby hunting lodge, one kilometer from the scene, one person had a heart attack, as a result of which he died, it was reported.

The person who died of a heart attack after a hard landing of the helicopter was Colonel-General of the Federal Security Service of Russia in 1946, after working for Sibur. I flew to the Amur Region from Moscow. Also on board was an entrepreneur from the Khabarovsk Territory, he has a serious spinal injury, "the administration said.
            https://chelorg.com/2018/05/21/sk-ha...vsk-territory/

https://www.5-tv.ru/news/203847/
            • We are trying to get an ID on this bird. If anyone finds out, please post the details.
            • Some saying this was a 342.

This photo has appeared in one news report, but we have no confirmation that this is the craft in question

"The person who died of a heart attack after a hard landing of the helicopter was Colonel-General of the Federal Security Service of Russia in 1946, after working for Sibur. I flew to the Amur Region from Moscow. Also on board was an entrepreneur from the Khabarovsk Territory, he has a serious spinal injury," the administration said.
            https://inforesist.org/v-habarovskom...ovosti-rossii/

Comment

• Helipixman
              Helipixman commented
              Editing a comment
              If it helps I think the owner of the Gazelle could be Sergey Melnichenko a businessman from the Amur region. If not he was reported as being on the Gazelle but it didn't say as pilot. I seem to recall his name mentioned somewhere before ? and sure I have seen a picture of him with an R44 before.

Apparently they were looking for somwhere to land for a fishing trip.

• Rotorspot
              Rotorspot commented
              Editing a comment
              The article at https://www.newsru.com/russia/21may2018/vertolet.html
              states that it is a Gazelle 342 owned by IP Melnychenko from Belogorsk (Amur Region).
              The only Russian 342 I have in my database is RA-0608G (c/n 123).

• Zishelix
              Zishelix commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the reg changed into RA-0682G few years ago
              http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=8317#post8317

• Gazelle Technicians and Supervisors Needed ASAP!

We have been asked to find mechanics and avionic technicians to join a 6 month+ contract working on scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, upgrade and modification of Gazelle aircraft in the South of the UK.

We offer a good working environment, a good rate of pay and a guaranteed 45 or more hours per week along with a minimum contract term of 6 months.

To be considered ideally you will be able to show recent experience of working with the Gazelle, but we will also consider technicians who haven't worked on the aircraft for up to 10 years, or those that have worked on other light military helicopters. We are also looking for supervisory staff, and offer a higher rate for these additional responsibilities.

We will be looking for technicians to start throughout April and May, so even if you are not available for a little while yet get in touch and see what we have to offer - we look forward to hearing from you!
            http://www.jobsinaviation.com/jobs/a...al-consulting/

Comment

• G-CDNO

SA341B G-CDNO (cn 1385) as seen at Sleap Airfield on 19th May 2018 (Photo: Mick Osbaldeston)

'The Bandit' during week two of NATO's Tiger Meet 2018 being held in Poland

Comment

• Family visit with N341DT, time to mow their lawn!

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol, 341DT ditched into the Sea of Grass

Nico one XB, thanks for share!

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  First there was 'Puss in Boots' .. then there was Gaz in Grass!

Great photo XB!

• SA341D G-ONNE (WA1089) landing near Cambridge on 20th May 2018

SA341D G-EZZL (cn 1104) as seen at Coventry on 15th May 2018

SA341G(S) YU-HEY (cn 1320) as seen departing Sywell on 13th May 2018 (Photo: Steve Coe)

Comment

• A toy? No, it's a piece of hand-crafted excellence!

Comment

• RA-0682G in Russia, May 2018

SA342M CXI in the Ivory Coast

The Bandit Gaz in Poland May 2018

Comment

• SA-342M Start-Up Checklist

Comment

• G-OLDH

G-OLDH was cancelled on 18.5.18 to Serbia becoming YU-HHH

Almost certainly taken at Stapleford (NFI)

Comment

• SA341G(S) F-GEQB (1280) as seen in France c.1980's

Is this craft still flying?

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sadly no. After spending some time in UK (G-ZELL between 1990 and 1995), went to Greece where it crashed in September 1996.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie Zis. I wonder what happened to the remains of the airframe?

• Gaz Squad Gazelles at Blackbushe on 2nd July 2017 (Photo: Jo Ayres)

Comment

• ZU-RLU

SA341G ZU-RLU (cn 1097) as seen in South Africa in 2018

Comment

• G-ZELL in the UK before going to Greece.

G-ZELL

Photos from the Helipixman collection (top one with thanks to GL)

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Wow, beautiful Elipix! 10/10 as always.

• SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) as seen in Abkhazia, Russia in May 2018

Comment

• YU-HHH does anyone know if this is staying in the UK ?

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Keeping my fingers crossed that GazEngineer will show up and offer some insight to this bird's future.

• SA341F2 'GHZ' N918GZ (cn 1672) as seen landing at French Valley Airport, Riverside County in California

Comment

• SA341B ZB693 (WA2009) as seen at SPTA on 29th October 2013 (Photo: Tony Osborne)

SA341D XZ933 (WA1735) as seen at RAF Valley on 18th August 1979

Rainbow over Stapleford

Comment

• Hi guys!

Last night I was driving towards the M3 motorway at junction 5, and spotted this Gazelle.

It was very difficult to get a shot of it while stuck in traffic, and when the cars started moving I couldnt get a shot of its registration. Its not a paint job I recognise, and the registration was in the range of N2..... at the very front under the cockpit glass.

I wondered if anyone knows what this is and if its new to the UK? Thanks.

Unknown Gazelle by Paul Varcoe, on Flickr

Comment

• Savoia
                                    Savoia commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Paul, as Zishelix has mentioned .. a super warm welcome to Aviafora, it is great to have you aboard - many congratulations on your first photo - the first of many we hope!

I just love XB's process of elimination, ha ha, excellent! He whittled it down to just five (which I think was amazing) and then Zis zeroed in on the craft in question. Great teamwork guys!

Stefano, if you are reading this, please check out Paul's lovely shot of your 'Army Girl' here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/varcs/40786859884/sizes/l

For those of you who enjoy aviation photography, check out this shot taken by Paul last year: https://www.flickr.com/photos/varcs/39654852464/sizes/l

• Paul V
                                    Paul V commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thank you everyone! For those who dont know me, I work with Andrew Morley at Threshold.aero.
                                    Fascinating working out xbdt! Had no idea about the Rambo connection either!

• N48284
                                    N48284 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    This was certainly not stored or based at Bourne Park between 2014 and 2017 as this is when i was based there.
                                    Last edited by N48284; 2nd June 2018, 07:47.
                                Working...
                                X