No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341G ZU-RLU (cn.1097) as seen at Wonderboom Airport on 9th June 2018 (Photo: Bruce Perkins)

Catch up with the latest posts on ..

Comment

• SA341G HB-XIL in Switzerland (Photo: Zishelix)

Go to original post.

North American Gaz

Hughes 500C N9235F as seen at Montreal International Airport on 14th August 1975 (Photo: Gaetan Imbeault)

Hoping that Zis can help us to identify the two-tone beige and green Gaz!

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done Zis! You seem to be 'au fait' with these early North American Gazelles. Assuming that the 'VH' in the registration was for Vought Helicopters. Was this their first bird?

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s N341VH

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Stefano.

I don't think I've seen a shot of this bird before, or at least not in these colours. Hopefully Zis may have a clearer image.

• N58283

SA341G N58283 as seen at Bourne Park on 19th June 2018 (Photo: Andrew Morley)

Nice one Andy!

If anyone has a chance to ask the lads at Bourne Park what those triangles at the skid joints are, this would be appreciated. The entire skid, one has to say, appears somewhat unique.

~ ~ ~

Find out here what is planned next in Europe and keep up-to-date with SC!

Comment

• md600driver
        md600driver commented
        Editing a comment
        When the heli was in USA it fell off a truck and the skids were damaged. The owner had some skids and legs made, the triangles are where the leg joins to the skids.

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Stefano!

Hmm .. in the wake of the horrific 2016 Puma crash in Norway, Airbus decreed that all Puma main transmissions which suffer any kind of shock (even a hard landing) are to be withdrawn from service.

While the Gazelle's 'skinny' transmission weighs only a fraction of that on the 'Super Pew', one wonders whether some precaution might nevertheless be advisable after being involved in a drop? It would be interesting to know whether the craft's transmission was inspected post-drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZbTN6pM2SE&t=388s

• SA341B VH-OIZ (WA1351) as seen near Adelaide, South Australia on 9th June 2018 (Photo: Peter Ede)

VH-OIW as seen in Barossa, Australia in April 2017 (Photo: Ryan Hothersall)

SA341D ZU-RNO (WA1999) as seen at Wonderboom Airport on 12th June 2018

SA341D G-RBIL (WA1199) as seen at Elstree on 19th June 2018 (Photo: Tony Twinn)

Been a while since we last saw the 'Gerbil'.

Comment

• N48284
        N48284 commented
        Editing a comment
        In the shots from Oz, OIW has EXPERIMENTAL on the door and OIZ has LIMITED. Whats the difference between them? and is it something to do with one being ex Navy and the other ex Army?

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      Grazie Steano!

Hmm .. in the wake of the horrific 2016 Puma crash in Norway, Airbus decreed that all Puma main transmissions which suffer any kind of shock (even a hard landing) are to be withdrawn from service.

While the Gazelle's 'skinny' transmission weighs only a fraction of that on the 'Super Pew', one wonders whether some precaution might nevertheless be advisable after being involved in a drop? It would be interesting to know whether the craft's transmission was inspected post-drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZbTN6pM2SE&t=388s
      One would hope that all the required checks were carried out. It was signed off by a qualified person.

I did go to Tennessee to look at this heli, but I decided not to make an offer.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        As you say, hopefully everything is in order. One just needs to remain vigilant and owners/operators need to be faithful in declaring any damage/incidents/accidents to their craft to potential buyers, as one simply cannot put a price on safety.

• Fene Strong
        Fene Strong commented
        Editing a comment
        As i understand it, as with any shock checks are to be carried out but i don't believe parts have to be withdrawn from service if checks are passed.

• SA341G(S) YU-HOT (cn.1390) as seen at Dunkeswell Airfield in Devon on 25th June 2018 (Photo: Ian Simpson)

It looks as if the birds quite like this aircraft too!

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at the Weston Air Festival on 24th June 2018 (Photo: Peter Harrison)

Nice to see Stefano 'stretching' 901's legs!

Comment

• South Africa

For those with connections to or an interest in South Africa, I recommend the documentary 'Farmlands' released yesterday by Canadian journalist Lauren Southern.

Lauren released excerpts from this documentary earlier in the year while working on the editing process, but this is now the completed film.

What you see and hear in this documentary you will (sadly) rarely see and hear in the mainstream media.

Comment

SA341G(S) N901B (cn.1410) as seen at the Weston Air Festival on 24th June 2018 (Photo: Peter Harrison)

Nice to see Stefano 'stretching' 901's legs!
          A spirited departure too I here!!

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Well if so, then bravo to Stefano! It is always very kind when drivers give a little something back to visitors and spectators some of whom travel great distances to see aircraft.

I thank God for people with spirit!

It is small matter to perform 'spirited manoeuvres' safely. Moreover, such displays are often the mark of a skilled and proficient driver who knows his craft well. In Italy you will witness spirited displays of flying regularly, it is almost 'expected' as a means of celebrating the gift of flight. Proficient pilots (whether private or professional) can quickly determine which type of manoeuvre is suitable and how best to perform it while taking into account the specific circumstances - and these little displays of 'character' are so much appreciated by onlookers, especially youngsters and children whom I have seen literally shriek with joy on occasion.

We are born to live! And live we must, and I say again, a proficient driver can and will be able to perform encouraging manoeuvres safely and securely.

The clip below is advertised as in 'incredible' departure .. when it is just a normal departure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oji2dkNq5Zs

Here is an 'Italian departure' which some are bound to criticise, but it is quite safe, the driver is simply performing a pedal turn with the gradual introduction of forward cyclic midway through the turn in order to introduce airspeed asap. He's doing this with no pax on board and while the manoeuvre 'looks' dramatic, it isn't really so dramatic with an exposure to the more spirited component of the departure lasting less than three seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NMD3r70CU

We've spoken of spirited departures .. but then there are spirited arrivals .. and well .. some people simply 'arrive' better than others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3OTMCMCB0w

• Originally posted by N48284 View Post
          A spirited departure too I here!!
          I wouldn’t say so !! Was it ?

Comment

• Andy wrote: In the shots from Oz, OIW has EXPERIMENTAL on the door and OIZ has LIMITED. Whats the difference between them? and is it something to do with one being ex Navy and the other ex Army?
            Any ideas anyone?

Comment

• Introducing ..

I am pleased to introduce Sergey and Alexey who are pilots with 'Fly Sky' based in the autonomous republic of Abkhazia which is located on the western border of Georgia and on the southern border of Russia.

They fly the former Navy Gazelle RA-05708 and are readers of Aviafora.

Sergey says:

"I read the comments about towing the skier, and what I can say is that before doing this we make assessment to make sure we can do this safely."
              Sergey and Alexey offer a variety of services including heli-ski, water ski, filming, photography, tour flights and general charter.

We take this opportunity to welcome Sergey and Alexey to the Aviafora community while wishing them all the best in their flying activities.

Sergey flying RA-05708 in Abkhazia in June 2018

Sergey inspecting the rotorhead on 708

Welcome to Fly Sky

Alexey flying 708 for rotorwake boarding experience

Rotorwake boarding in action

Welcome to Abkhazia

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to know the pilots of RA-05708 reading Aviafora! I hope both Sergey and Alexey will decide to post here some more photos of the Gazelle taken over their lovely country

• More Blue Gazelles ..

SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) as seen at Weston-super-Mare on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Ashley Middleton)

Aviation Requirements Sherborne

Using our wealth of Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) experience we have delivered numerous Rotary and Fixed Wing RCM contracts. These include recent support to both the Gazelle helicopter and the SPMAP Defender & Islander platforms all of which required full Master Maintenance Schedule Reviews (MMSR) of the Topic 5 series of publications for the respective platforms. These have delivered improved maintenance regimes, cost savings and enhanced airworthiness.
              http://www.aviationrequirements.co.u...gineering.html

It seems as if Aviation Requirements Ltd. are one of the companies which have been involved in supporting the UK's Army Gazelles.

Comment

• 'cause Sav asked for it

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow! Fantastico Zishelix!

As I've mentioned before, these civilian Gazelles from the 70's are my all time favourites!

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Artistic moon touch, well done

• S/n 1066 & 1075 during filming the Blue Thunder movie back in 1982.

Comment

• goose814
                  goose814 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My favorite Gazelle of all time. It's the movie that inspired me to become a helicopter mechanic back in 1985. My first aviation job was working for Petroleum Helicopters Inc.

• RA-05708 in the mountains of Abkhazia, June 2018

Comment

• Visiting friends with N341DT :-)

Comment

• G-EZZL in May 2015 by Paul Beale

Comment

• SA342 in Valencia (Photo: André Bour)

Montenegro Air Force Gazelle in Podgorica in June 2018

Serbian Police Gazelles during operation 'Joint Strike' 2018

Please remember to like and follow Avia's FB page:

Comment

• We are pleased to welcome Kirill, from the town of Bratsk in the province of Irkutsk, Russia, as the latest member of Aviafora. Kirill is the owner of RA-05709.
                      Kirill we welcome you and wish you many years of safe and happy flying!

Kirill with RA-05709

Kirill's Gazelle RA-05709

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Welcome aboard Kirill! Looking forward to see more pics of your Gazelle here

Btw, Sav please check whether the registration is 05709 or 06709?

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My bad Zis, it is 05709, now amended.

I have already received a batch of 'Snow Gazelles' from Kirill (who's name is derived from St. Cyril of Jerusalem) so these (God willing) shall be posted in December.

Kirill is reading this site (along with around 25 other Gazelle owners and counting) so he will see your comments.

This is all your fault Zis! I just wanted to post historic helicopters on the Nostalgia Thread, but because you were the only person I could chat back and forth with, your 'Shrieking Gazelles' thread became the place for conversation, and now many Gazelle enthusiasts are reading .. and I STILL haven't flown the craft so that when every Gazelle owner tells me they prefer to fly the Gazelle, I still don't properly understand why - but one day I will!

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Re my 'fault' - Guilty as charged.

I'm glad Aviafora is becoming a reference website for Gazelle enthusiasts.

• Alouette II Down in Croatia

Check Avia's FB page for all non-Gazelle news and other items.

Comment

Alouette II Down in Croatia
                        Zoltán the pilot is okay.

He recons he may have hit something such as a bird or droon (his spelling not mine).

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Many thanks for this info Stefano. As I wrote to Zis earlier in the day, we are just thankful that everyone is basically okay. The bits of aluminium and perspex can be repaired or replaced but people .. that's another matter.

Will update the Alo thread.

I've heard a Scotsman refer to a drone as droon, so its just possible Zoltán has some Celtic ancestry.

• SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) as seen in Pervouralskiy, Sverdlovskaya, Russia in May 2018

I have given this Gaz the Avia name 'Cyrilcraft' after her owner as well of course as her abbreviated registration '709'.

Comment

• Dauphin For Sale

Helitours of Slovenia are selling their 365C2 Dauphin S5-HCK.

These tail-dragger Dauphin's really are a rare catch and are such a lovely aircraft with a great ride given their four-bladed main rotor.

I am hoping that this bird will not move too far away from this area.

As Zishelix will confirm, I absolutely love these tail-dragger Dauphins!
                          • 8 Place passenger accommodation
                          • 1-2 Place crew seating
                          • 2 x Turbomeca Ariel 1A2 engines producing 670shp each
                          • 1,400 kgs payload
                          • 137 kts cruise

You may contact Helitours by phone on: +386 3 752 30 30 or via email at: info@helitours.si they are open to (sensible) offers.

Helitours website

Comment

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes I remember you saying you liked the original 'Dauphins'. Good choice Sir, right behind Gazelle

• Received from Sergey this morning:

Miss 'Fly Sky' in the mountains of Abkhazia in June 2018

Here we see the consequences of standing beneath the tip-path plane during start-up in the windy mountains, thankfully though Miss Fly Sky's jeans were all that were ripped!

Sergey flying RA-05708 yesterday

SA341D G-RBIL (WA1199) as seen at Loch na Keal on the Isle of Mull on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Martin Wren)

I was just saying the other day how we haven't seen the 'Gerbil' in quite some time, and now we get two shots of her in a row!

But we are glad to see her.

Comment

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Abkhazia appear to be full of natural beauties

• ZU-HHP

In case we haven't had this attractive footage here:

If it's already posted here... well, it's worth to see it once again

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, on page 103, but as you say its worth seeing again .. everything is worth seeing again !

• How It Works - Helicopter blades (educational video on Gazelle example)

Well done Mr. Karp!

Comment

• SA341G N565F (cn.1182) as seen at RNAS Yeovilton on 5th July 2008 (Photo: Paul Johnson)

I believe this was GazEngineer's favourite colour scheme from those painted at Stapleford.

Go to original post.

See also a camouflaged Alouette II 'flash back' (HA-LFZ) on Alouettes & Lamas.

Comment

• Angel Ivoninskaya with RA-05706 near St. Petersburg

Comment

• GazEngineer
                                GazEngineer commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The picture was taken here at Stapleford as the Gazelle is with us at the moment, or should I say was it left Friday to be shipped back to Russia.

The concrete pad and how the grass is cut in the left of the picture was the giveaway!

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                GazEn you're back! And I just mentioned you in the post above.

Thanks for the correction, much appreciated.

To our readers the above post should read .. 'From Essex with Love!'

• SA341F2 N321VV (1558) at Rotor Leasing's Colorado base

N321VV in the workshop

Inside N321VV's fuel tank which had to be replaced

Seems that many of the military ones are suddenly having fuel leaks due to the break down of the fuel bladder. NATO changed the Jet-A formulation and it's causing the fuel cells to deteriorate at a rapid rate. We have changed 4 of them just this year!

— Chris Bateman, Rotor Leasing

SA341B ZU-RLH (cn WA1600) as seen at Quoin Rock Winery, Stellenbosch, South Africa in July 2018 (Video by Jason Maydew)

It seems they really do enjoy flying this craft without her engine cowlings!

Comment

• xbdt
                                xbdt commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Not a Gaz sound at the end, more like an R44 or something.

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Yes indeed, or a Bell 47. Oftentimes its a Huey. For whatever reason, numerous film and video editors feel they are doing everyone a service if the employ a helicopter sound effect rather than use the actual sound. Shame really.

• SA341B G-ZZEL (WA1152) departing Weston-super-Mare on 23rd June 2018 (Photo: Kevin Slade)

SA341C G-ZZLE (cn WA1402) ex-XX436 attending the Armed Forces Day ay Gilingham, Kent on 30th June 2018

Comment

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nice G-ZZEL photo!
                            Working...
                            X