No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yugoslav Air Force SA341H (cn 100) 721 as seen during Exercise 'Golija' in 1987

Comment

• SA342J HA-LFH (cn 1775) as seen at Ostend's Bruges Airport on 28th June 2015 (Photo: Luc Van Belleghem)

Steve & Co. either on their way to, or returning from, Benegaz 2015.

Comment

• L-R: Jean Marie Besse, Denis Prost, Jean Boulet and René Mouille as seen in 1971 (Photo: Daniel Liron)

This photo was quite possibly taken in May of 1971 when on the 13-14th Besse and Post broke two world speed records with the Gazelle. Zis will have to remind me (once again) which aircraft they used, as this is likely to be the one which appears in the above shot.

I don't think I would be overstating matters by saying that between them, these four men pretty much shaped the European helicopter manufacturing industry for the better part of two decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
          Zis will have to remind me (once again) which aircraft they used,...
          Of course, see here.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, grazie Zis! Have added the registration to the photo file.

• Gazelle to be Replaced in New French 4th Helicopter Brigade

The French Army Air Corps is well on the way to creating a fourth helicopter brigade and has been upgraded to a more integrated aviation command, Army Maj. Gen. Olivier de la Motte said Feb. 12.

The Army aviation command will draw on 5,000 personnel and be backed with a working budget of €1.2 billion (us $1.4 billion), he told a conference on air-land combat.

Among projects are upgrade of the Tiger attack helicopter to Mark 2 and 3, NH90 Caiman helicopter adapted for the special forces, and a light joint helicopter to replace the Gazelle.
          http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...ance/80290354/

And in other news ..

Helihub Expanding into China

Today we are pleased to announce that we are going to start regular monthly reporting from China, to include a complete list of helicopters added to, or removed from the local register. HeliHub.com is working in association with Rotorspot.nl to bring readers this data.
          http://helihub.com/2016/02/12/helihu...ds-into-china/

Our congratulations to both Jeremy and Jos. Keep up the great work guys.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Re 'Gazelle to be replaced...' - More 'fresh' machines and parts for the market

Joining Sav's congrats for Jos & Jeremy achievement!

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            'More 'fresh' machines and parts for the market.'

Yes, and one wonders where all the ALAT machines might end up. Obviously some will go to African defence forces, but where else will be interesting to see.

• Top equipped, nice looking and probably one of the most expensive Gazelle instrument panels

"Stretched" SA.342J s/n 1059 (F-GKRF, now F-HGUN) photographed at Geneva International in August 22nd, 2003. (Photo: Jerome Mervelet)

Can't find any fresh photo of the subject, sorry.

Comment

• md600driver
            md600driver commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I am lead from the to believe from the owner it is the most expensive gazelle ever sold

• Nice one Zis.

I wonder if someone has installed an all-glass Gaz panel?

In the meantime ..

SA341G G-WDEV (cn WA1098) over County Offaly, Ireland

Comment

• F-BVUI

Helicap SA341G F-BVUI (cn 1122) as seen in the French Alps in August 1978 (Photo: Frédéric Rolland)

On page 55 we saw the rear view of this craft from this same occasion. Seen in this photo is Frédéric's father, and F-BVUI's pilot that day, Patrick Rolland (1951-1988).

Comment

• Gaz Brochures

Because I know Zis enjoys such things, and also given that F-ZWRH (the first 341 prototype) was mentioned above in the photo with Aérospatiale's 'dream team'.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SUD-AVIATION-...YAAOSwaA5Wkvow

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SUD-AVIATION-...8AAOSwHaBWkvpq

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting stuff indeed! The brochures are a bit pricey though.

• G-DFKI Change of Ownership

G-DFKI was registered yesterday to a new owner, David John Fravigar (16.2.16).

He is not new to helicopters and has previously owned G-CCMU, a Rotorway Exec, and G-DEXT, currently registered as G-GDJF, an R44 Raven II.

It is rumoured he has also had some connection with G-CDNO, another Lincolnshire-based Gazelle.

Helipixman

Comment

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie Elipix!

She's gradually weavng her way back to Yorkshire!

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the info Helipix!

• G-DFKI at Breighton in September, 20th, 2015 (Photo: Philip L Jackson)

Comment

• md600driver
                md600driver commented
                Editing a comment
                This was Eddie flying and not the new owner David.

It was our annual helicopter day at BREIGHTON.

• French soldiers involved in ‘Operation Barkhane’ stand in front of an SA342 at a military base in Gao, northern Mali, on 19th February 2016, following a visit by French Prime Minister Manuel Valls and French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian

Comment

• XX380

Royal Marines SA341B XX380 (cn 1268)

Sadly no details accompanying this shot but, by the look of it, taken over Cyprus. We've seen a fair bit of 380 on this thread including shots of her in Norway. She also served in Iraq and in the Netherlands, and has been associated with 847 Squadron and 3 Commando Brigade Air Squadron.

Comment

• Gary Gazelle
                  Gary Gazelle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  380 spent most of it's life in Yeovilton with 3 Cdo BAS (which became 847NAS) with the usual deployments to Norway and Iraq etc. It would have spent a lot of time on board Royal Navy ships and this shot could easily be 380 flying over Cyprus from a ship?

• SA.341G (s/n 1584) of Southern Aircraft Consultancy seen at Cheltenham Racecourse in March 10th, 2015 (Photo: Ray Barber)

Comment

• Savoia asked about a Gazelle with a glass instrument panel.

Herewith is a photo of ZU-RZR's panel:

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great pic Vernon, thanks for sharing !!

• Welcome aboard, Vernon!

I shall ask Sav if he can assist you in posting a larger resolution photo, but what I know is that photos uploaded directly onto Aviafora only show as 'thumbnails', for larger size the photo must be hosted externally then pasted into the post.

See photo posting instructions here.

Comment

• Speaking of the 'stretched' N150SF, she previously flew as N158SF when she belonged to the Callaway Engineering Co. where she replaced a 'classic' SA.341G, N223DP (s/n 1074). N223DP then became HA-LFB which was tragically lost in an accident in March 2011.

Shown above is Mr. Callaway's (yes, the Callaway of Callaway Cars!) SA.341G N223DP. It seems he has a taste for good looking machines!

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the exhaust pipe was simply removed. Odd to see but harmless for the helicopter flying capabilities, I assume.

• xbdt
                    xbdt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Exhaust pipe is needed for the oil coolers.

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh boy, I (wrongly) concluded it's not a big problem to fly Gazelle without that part. XB, thanks for your kind explanation!

• Dear Vernon

Adding my welcome to that of Zishelix.

Many thanks for the shot of RZR's panel, much appreciated!

Regards

Sav

ZU-RZR (The Razor)

SA342L ZU-RZR (cn 1854) as seen in South Africa in February 2016

SA342L ZU-RZR (cn 1854) as seen in South Africa in February 2016

This is of course ex-Crabtree Gazelle HA-LFQ (formerly Irish Air Corps '241') recently seen in South Africa during a Volkswagen promotional event.

Click here to see a video of ZU-RZR taking-off.

(The format of the above-linked video is one I am unfamiliar with, and it seems that one must 'hover' one's mouse over the image displayed on the page in order to play the video).

Comment

• As Sav already mention, ZU-RZR began its flying career as Irish Air Corp's „241“ and was attached to the 3rd Training Wing at Baldonnel. Withdrawn from military service during 2005 and sold on civil market next year.

Seen at Baldonnel in March 24th, 2004 (Photo: Frank Graelish)

I very much like the Gazelle inscription and serial no. painted on the tail fin, and I am sure it would look equally good on her new livery also!

Comment

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You mean this one?

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha ha, yes that's the one. Though I've never seen it incorporated with a Gazelle animal image in this way before. Nicely done.

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh, it was one of my 'artistic' moments

• 25 Years Ago Today ..

A Kuwaiti Air Force SA342L oversees the movement of Iraqi prisoners of war, across a stream in southeastern Kuwait, on 25th February 1991, during Gulf War I

And with the above reminiscence comes an opportunity to take a look at a few more Kuwaiti Gazelles:

KAF SA342L '514'

KAF SA342L '521'

KAF SA342L '501' plus one

KAF SA342L '501'

KAF SA342L '501'

KAF SA342L's - '512' in the foreground and wearing a new (seemingly unwrapped) sand filter

Zis, do you happen to know whether in recent years the KAF have moved from their 'grey coats' to the camouflage livery shown in the last two photos?

Comment

• Nice one Sav!

Sadly, I'm not sure when the Kuwaiti machines changed their livery.

More from Kuwait

Below is a scanned image of a pair of KAF's SA.342Ks from an issue of Air Forces Monthly (3/03):

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
                        Btw, do you know approximately how many Gazelles the IAC operated?
                        IAC had 2 Gazelles, 237 and 241, both 342L1 models.

237 crashed as a result of an engine failure, and I saw her remains at Baldonell when I picked up 241. I believe 237 was doomed for the fire dump to be used for fire practice.

Comment

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grazie Steve.

It must have been one, or even both of these, that I encountered from time-to-time in 1980-81 when Charlie Haughey (then Prime Minister) would sometimes arrive at his home on the isle of 'Inishvickillane' (off the coast of Dingle) courtesy of an IAC Gaz.

• Montenegrin Air Force May be Planning to Replace Gazelles

Montenegro's ministry of defence announced yesterday their intention to sell a number of aircraft, specifically their UTVA-75 and Soko G-4 trainers.

However, the statement also makes reference to the country's Gazelle helicopters citing their limited all weather and night flying capability. The statement goes on to say that the sale of the air force trainers will be used to fund the purchase of new medium-weight multi-purpose helicopters, presumably to replace their Gazelles.

http://www.gov.me/en/News/158174/Mon...aircrafts.html

Comment

• Zishelix
                          Zishelix commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I don't think Montenegro are going to get rid of their Gazelles just yet, but that they intend to reinforce their helicopter fleet with the medium-weight aircraft mentioned.

• Originally posted by md600driver View Post

IAC had 2 Gazelles, 237 and 241, both 342L1 models.

Irish Air Corps SA342L '237' (cn 1772) as seen in July 1987 (Photo: Derek Gaynor)

Comment

• SA341B G-ZZLE (cn WA1402) ex-XX436 as seen at the Dawlish Air Show in 2015 (Photo: Bob Sharples)

Army Air Corps SA341B ZB665 (cn WA1932) as seen on 21st June 2015 (Photo: Alun Jones)

SA341B ZB679 (cn WA1982) as seen at Swansea Airport in Wales on 28th February 2016 (Photo: Derek Flewin)

Comment

• Nice b/w image of Heli-Air's SA.341G F-BVVU (s/n 1142) at Paris - Issy Les Moulineaux Heliport on May 30th, 1975
                            (Photo: Mick Bajcar)

Sadly, damaged beyond repair in an accident in August 1982.
                            Last edited by Zishelix; 29th February 2016, 08:06.

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nice to see Issy from the 70's, and a great shot by Mick of F-BVVU.

Do you happen to have any details relating to her accident?

• Zishelix
                              Zishelix commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sorry, no other info regarding accident.

• Rotorspot
                              Rotorspot commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Accident date given here
                              http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=154337
                              as 09-May-1982, but no further details.

• More from ..

FFWD to the Gazelles from 39:00

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Lovely footage XB!

• What a nice herd of Gazelles! Interesting video, thanks XB!

This remind me to ask again – any plans for 'Gazelle Fly-In 2016'?

Comment

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It would obviously be nice for the public to see Benegaz re-group at Ursel but, I think XB should also host a barbecue at Zomergem so that the Gazelles can be seen in a more informal (and different) setting. It would make for some nice photos!

• Polizei Niedersachsen SA342J D-HOPL (cn 1095) as seen at Hannover in 2008 (Photo: Ian Jenkins)

Comment

• Montenegro Update

Following the news we brought last week (see above) regarding the disposal of air assets by the Montenegrin Air Force, Flight International have today run the story, adding some additional details, notably:

According to the defence plan, the “A priority” for Montenegro is two medium multirole helicopters, an acquisition process for which is expected to start this year and finish in 2018.

After this, four Soko Gazelle helicopters are set to be sold and, between 2019 and 2023, overhaul and modernisation of the remaining Gazelle fleet is expected.
                              https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...urns-t-422594/

Comment

• Fene Strong
                                Fene Strong commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If they are planning to continue to use Gazelle's past 2023 does anyone know what engines they will be using? Thanks.
                            Working...
                            X