Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Warty View Post
    Sorry I can't find a photo of a Gazelle in BATUS colours. So here, as a consolation, BATUS from a Gazelle:
    Nice one. Do you still fly the Gazelle?

Comment

• Warty
      Warty commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't been in one since 1990, sadly. Only flight-sim ones for me nowadays

• Gazelle Viviane Night Start

Note the 'periscope' swivel into forward position at 32 secs.

Cn. 1862 (aka 'GAL') has been visiting the UK. For a photo of her during the recent night shoot at Northolt, click here.

Comment

• MAG

SA341B XZ321 (cn WA1614) belonging to 6 Flight, as seen refuelling at RAF Honington on 24th April 1978
      (Photo: Andy Anderson)

Comment

• Zishelix
        Zishelix commented
        Editing a comment
        I assume our fellow Aviaforan Gary Gazelle know the details.

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, nice one. But I don't think Gary works at Bourne Park! I don't know what it is with the Gaz Squad and naming all their aircraft after men !!!

• Warty
        Warty commented
        Editing a comment
        XZ321 was “restored in the desert colours of 4 Regiment who supported the Desert Rats amongst other brigades in the first Gulf War” after it became civilian registered in 2005 as G-CDNS and is part of the Gazelle Squadron civilian display team. I don't think it was ever painted in the desert colour scheme during its service life.

• Soko's licence-built 341H (HO-42, s/n 027) with Slovenian registration in 2008. Later sold to Italy (I have no further info).

Comment

• Another take on 901 from Steve's visit to Austria last month:

SA341G(S) N901B (cn 1410) as seen at Helidays Austria on 10th September 2016 (Photo: Philip Lueger)

Comment

• SA342J 121 as seen in Dubai on 17th January 1980 (Photo: Andy Anderson)

A rare shot of a Dubai Police 342.

I am not sure of the construction number for this bird despite the fact that the number appears below the '342' designation on the tail. Sadly the photo is of insufficient quality to maintain the integrity of the numerals when enlarged.

I am also unsure about the 'roof box' which appears to be blocking the main transmission air intake!

Comment

• xbdt
          xbdt commented
          Editing a comment
          just took a picture of the overhead aircon assy
          https://s17.postimg.org/smwr6wmgf/IMG.jpg

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Sav, check for yourself https://s3.postimg.org/quw5nyv0j/image.jpg
          (This is the same photo but in higher resolution so I was able to enlarge it).

XB, many thanks for the photo! Is this aircon asset designed for Gazelles only or fit other helicopters as well?

• Rotorspot
          Rotorspot commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the type of c/n 1679 marked as '341' because I simply did not know the exact type. Moreover, I wasn't even aware of it having been Dubai Police 121. I have found it now in an old reference and this information will be added to my database. Thanks.

• Originally posted by Zishelix View Post
        There are a number of Gazelles which have been upgraded from a 341 to a 342 and which are never amended on lists like the one Job compiles [ i have also owned some of these airframes ]. There is no official way of doing it as in many cases there is no need to inform the aviation authority.
        Last edited by md600driver; 22nd October 2016, 11:19.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Grazie Stefano! I think over time one should be able to compile a reasonably accurate list. There seem to have been a handful of Gazelles that were sent to Dubai, do you happen to know where they ended-up?

• Ecuadorean Gazelle (Photo: Fausto Tapia)

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely shot!

• G-EZZL s/n 1104 (ex-XW862) by Bob Kember.

Comment

• SA341B XW846 (cn WA1009) as seen in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, on 18th June 2016 (Photo: Nathan Lawrence)

Quite an early construction number and by the look of it still in Army service with 665 Squadron at Aldergrove.

Comment

• Fene Strong
            Fene Strong commented
            Editing a comment
            Still in service.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie FS!

• G-UTZY

SA341G(S) G-UTZY (cn 1307) as seen at Battersea Heliport most probably in the late 1980's (Photo: Ibrahim Ahmet)

Became G-OLDH in 2004 after being purchased by David Gold. Now registered to MW Helicopters.

See more Gutzy here.

Comment

• Warty
            Warty commented
            Editing a comment
            The Black Ford Capri was first registered on 01 August 1986 so the late 1980's dating is probably pretty close.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Brilliant! Grazie mille Warty!

• Newly Registered Gazelles (ex-ALAT)

N171GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1171, ex ALAT 1171
          N210GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1210, ex ALAT 1210
          N312GZ, SA341F2, c/n 1312, ex ALAT 1312

All registered to Aerospatiale SA34X Inc, Wilmington (USA) on 21-Oct-2016

Comment

• Can't seem to upload pictures even though they are jpg, says invalid file

Comment

• ZU-HHP

SA341F2 ZU-HHP (cn 1597) as recently seen in South Africa

G-NONA

SA341G (cn WA1108) G-NONA c. 2001 (Photo: Helipix)

Not entirely certain of the location of Helipix's shot, but am wondering if it is the MW hangar at Stapleford? Perhaps GazEn can advise.

Btw, in Italian 'nonna' means grandmother!

Of grandmothers and Gazelles, it should be mentioned that we do have a post on this thread involving the two, indeed with the pilot and his passenger (Granny Scott) both being recipients of our prestigious 'Occasional Gazelle Awards' see here.

Comment

• GazEngineer
            GazEngineer commented
            Editing a comment
            I can indeed confirm that it's mw helicopters and as there's an ex Royal Navy sharks display team gazelle behind Nona I'd say between 1999 and 2000

• Very nice shot of Steve's N901B taken at Breighton in October 23rd, 2016 (Photo: Dave Marshall)

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Its a nice shot indeed Zis! In this light one gets the impression that 901 has been sprayed with pearlescent paint but which is not so noticeable in the shot further up the page.

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
          Its a nice shot indeed Zis! In this light one gets the impression that 901 has been sprayed with pearlescent paint but which is not so noticeable in the shot further up the page.
          The paint is actually pearl white with flecks of gold. The tail needs repainting as the paint is porous, but that should be completed over the winter minus the graphics.

Definitely a nice shot. Wouldn't mind a jpeg file for my desktop.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll contact the author and see if he can provide you with hi-res photo for private use

So, you intend to remove present lettering out of the tail fin. Would you consider genuine 'Gazelle' logo with her s/n instead?

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Have sent you a jpeg of the existing photo while you await a higher resolution from Zishelix.

Has the tail paint become porous as a result of the exhaust soot?

Speaking of exhaust soot .. I've only just noticed .. I think you've swapped out her exhaust for a low-heat-signature version!

• md600driver
            md600driver commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes the tail boom has suffered (like most Gazelles) with soot and oil from the exhaust.

We had the upturned exhaust fitted to hopefully funnel the exhaust away from the tail. 10/100 marks for observation!

• G-RALE: An Untold Story!

Gentlemen .. does my memory fail me or was this story involving G-RALE previously narrated?

A newly released photo dated from 1990 places this craft at RAF Odiham (fair enough) but the photographer notes that she is there apparently as a result of having been impounded for drug running!

G-RALE previously appeared on page 12 with some basic details of her history .. but nothing which alluded to this somewhat incredible story!

Having looked again at her registration record I do now see that there is a four year gap between 1988 and 1992 when she appears to be unaccounted for; and this photo places her slap-bang in the middle of that time frame.

Can anyone shed any light on this story?

Also .. any suggestions please as to why the rear of the skids would be propped-up by a piece of timber?

SA341G G-RALE (cn 1187) as seen at RAF Odiham on 3rd August 1990 (Photo: Glyn Ramsden)

Comment

• Fene Strong
            Fene Strong commented
            Editing a comment
            When the Gazelle is left up on transit wheels the tail can go down as far as the ground so damage the frangible fairing (normally have someone on the tail), the wood stops this happening. You wouldn't usually leave it up on wheels for a prolonged period but they probably wanted it ready to move all the time.

• md600driver
            md600driver commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, G-RALE was forced down by a Puma whilst drug running. The UK Customs used to have a display stand they would take to various shows and which displayed some photos from this arrest.

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie FS. I didn't pay attention to the wheels being left engaged so to speak - now it makes sense.

Grazie Steve. So its true!

How considerate of the government to select a craft from the same manufacturer to chase down the little Gazelle!

Given that this craft was arrested for drug running and 'served time' at RAF Odiham, perhaps an appropriate name for her would be .. 'The Jailbird'.

• Taking LFH to be painted yesterday:

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Great! Looking forward to seeing your bird in her new 'dress' here!

• I'm just curios what c/s she's going to get.

HA-LFH at Gloucestershire Airport on May 9th this year.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Perhaps black with yellow polkadots!

• A newly delivered Mi17 with SA342 12890 as seen at Batajnica Air Base in Serbia on 1st October 2016 (Photo: Dimitrije Ostojic)

SA342L1 12890 (cn 134) as seen at Batajnica Air Base in Serbia on 1st October 2016 (Photo: Dimitrije Ostojic)

Regarding the Mi-8/17, this is surely one of the most robust and effective general purpose/utility helicopters ever built. Click here for a look at some Mi-8 history.

Remember to visit our FB page to check on the odd post elsewhere on the forum:

Comment

• Digital Gazelle

Comment

• ZB679

SA341B ZB679 (cn WA1982) as seen at Blackpool Airport

This craft is now with 665 Squadron at JHCFS Aldergrove.

(NB: The Gazelle segment finishes at 3:53 and the video repeats itself at 8:33).

Comment

• Assorted Gaz

A couple of recent shots of RA-2184G (cn 1034) from Vladivostok:

And a trio of Egyptian Gazelles:

Comment

• SA341G G-SFTD (cn 1145) as seen at Silverstone c. 1980's (Photo: Helipix)

This craft now flying in Russia as RA-05705.

See more G-SFTD here.

Comment

• DIGITAL GAZELLES

YouTube video of me fooling around in a flight-sim Gazelle:

Last edited by Warty; 31st October 2016, 17:17.

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha ha .. great stuff!

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice virtual flying, Warty

• Tiger painted French ALAT SA342M 3862/GAL at RAF Northolt on October 6th, 2016 (Photo: Alan C Bushell)

Comment

• Navy Gaz

SA341C XW864 (cn WA1116) c.1970's

Unsure of the location, but demonstrating how close the tail fairing gets to the ground, as mentioned by Fene Strong.

Comment

• N48284
                        N48284 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That'll be Farnborough International 1974.

• XW852

SA341D XW852 (cn WA1024) as seen at RNAY Fleetlands in 1996 (Photo: Gerry Rudman)

Comment

• The 'All Black'

Zis, you know how Stefano has an all white Gaz with a two-piece Perspex door .. well, what do you think about this all black Gaz with a one-piece door and Perspex battery access!!??

A recently rebuilt Gazelle takes to the air

Comment

• xbdt
                          xbdt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My bet is that it is probably s/n 1272 ex UR-CSAG.
                          P.S. I do not like the all perspex doors, I prefer to stick with the 'as original as possible' design. Every mod lowers the reselling price and the airworthiness becomes questionable.

• md600driver
                          md600driver commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually my doors are factory standard with the dark plexi hiding the bar in the middle at the bottom and the top plexi being without a sliding window.

• Savoia
                          Savoia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As XB mentioned, this is an ex-Crabtree bird, formerly Steve's Westland-built G-BZYB (WA1272) and XB is also right in that she is being overhauled and refurbished in the Ukraine. The photo is from her recent post-overhaul test flight.

Concerning the doors, I like the appearance on '901', in fact I think 901's doors look very smart and, as Steve has mentioned, the door frame remains completely intact with the bottom connecting spar simply being on the inside of the perspex as opposed to showing on both sides. However, on the 'All Black' I don't think the single-piece door is so attractive and the perspex battery cover definitely isn't and prompts the question .. how might the cabin be ventilated?

• The Gerbil

SA341D G-RBIL (cn 1199) as seen at Birmingham Airport on 2nd October 2016

Note the 'swirl' on the fenestron hub cover.

SA341D G-RBIL (cn 1199) at an unidentified location on 29th October 2016

Comment

Working...
                        X