Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA341B XX392 (WA1302) NFI

Comment

• It is my pleasure to announce the formal commencement of this year's Snow Gazelles ..

Goitered gazelles as seen in the mountains of Karamay in China

SA341G(S) I-OLLY (WA1065) as seen in Sestiere, Torino in 1997 (Photo by Cini Mamo)

SA342J(S) N624EL (cn.1094) creative snowscape

SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) with snow hound, as seen at Mostovoy Airfield in November 2020
      (Photo courtesy of Avia member Kirill)

RA-05703 celebrating the arrival of snow

RA-05706 departing St. Petersburg Bay

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post

Snow Gazelle HB-XFW

Air Grischa SA341G (WA1124) as seen near Mount Pizzo TambΓ² in the Lepontine Alps on the Swiss-Italian border in 1977

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post

Let it Snow!

SA342M 4192/BLD in March 2009

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post

F-GCCZ at Courchevel in January 1990 (Photo: Eric Bannwarth)

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Lovely contributions from Elipix and Zis!πŸ‘

I am enjoying Air Grischa's HB-XFW hilltop capture as well as this 'all new' shot of F-GCCZ, fantastico! πŸ‘Œ

I am wondering what may be inscribed beneath the rear pax window on 'CZ'?

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          You may stop wondering

• Helipixman
          Helipixman commented
          Editing a comment
          The third owner of F-GCCZ SAF (Service Aeriene Francais) was founded by Eric Fraissinet in 1983 and the 4th owner was Fraissinet Aviation. It was then registered to MW Helicopters still as F-GCCZ and became YU-HEV

• Ecuadorian Snow Gazelle (NFI)

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          π•π„π‘π˜ ππˆπ‚π„ Elipix! πŸ‘Œ

It looks as if you and Zis are pulling out all the stops with a new set of Snow Gazelles and which, as we know, are a rare form of Gazelle to find. In fact, I think this may be our first ever South American Snow Gazelle!

I suppose there is a possibility that this bird may now be flying in South Africa.

• SA342L1 E7-ABI (c/n 139) during the winter of 2012

Comment

• IFOR BAG in Bosnia in Jan-Feb 1996 (Photo by Karl Tearney)

Montenegrin Air Force SA341H 12671 (cn.054) in Montenegro

Serbian Air Force Snow Gaz departure in 2019

Zis/Elipix: I shouldn't be at all suprised that Zis had a photo of the wording on F-GCCZ's door or that Elipix knew the history behind it! You are the 'Dynamic Gaz Duo!'

Elipix mentioned Eric Fraissinet, but I wonder who Roland Fraissinet was, perhaps Eric's son?

Colin Chapman (the founder of Lotus cars) also had his name painted on the door of his craft 'The Dancer' and which I flew many times in the early 80's.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            'Dynamic Duo' indeed

Last edited by Zishelix; 23rd December 2020, 08:51.

• Helipixman
            Helipixman commented
            Editing a comment
            I did read somewhere that Eric Fraissinet was the founder of SAF, having said that I have also just read that Roland Fraissinet was a co-founder of SAF and Eric may be his son !

Roland Fraissinet was also a fixed wing pilot and at one time owned a Spitfire

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha, love it Zis! πŸ‘

Grazie Elipix, so interesting.

• Gazelle Exported from USA

N71PU, SA341G, c/n 1137, was cancelled 21-Dec-2020 on export to South Africa.

Comment

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for info, Jos!

• Here is one that only just qualifies with snow capped mountains, the Gazelle is N9747P (really C-FEDG) seen during filming of 'The Fly II' movie in 1989.

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            If there's snow in the photo .. its a Snow Gaz! πŸ‘

• Here is one that quailfies for the wrong reason, XW901 Crashed onto a frozen lake at Suffield Ranges, Alberta during cold weather trials on 12.2.75 (This is first picture I have found of this Gazelle and a welcome addition to my collection)

Comment

• It appears Gazelle 2-WILD is now based at Bad Voslau, Austria

XB has this been sold ?

Comment

• xbdt
              xbdt commented
              Editing a comment
              yes about 1 year ago.

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie Elipix, really appreciated. πŸ‘

Any photos of this craft in her new domain would be greatly welcome!

• HB-ZFD at Courchevel on February 17th, 2012 (Photo: Romain Baheu)

Comment

• SA342J(S) F-GJGT (cn.1094) NFI

The registration, fenestron hubcap and everything else appear to be the right-way-round on this photo, for I had wondered about this given that the driver is situated in the left-hand seat. In the absence of any further information I am going to assume that the PIC hopped-out and asked his colleague to lift 'GT' into the hover while he took this snap!

SA341B XX405 (possibly) NFI

Following-on from Elipix's 'crashed Snow Gaz' theme I am submitting the above which was labelled as being 'XX405' and yet I can find nothing relating to XX405 being involved in an incident.

What I 'am' keen to one day discover, are some photos depicting the three-cab pile up which occurred in Voss, Norway on 24th February 1982.

The story goes that an RAF Puma XW234 was engaged in a training exercise practising snow landings and in the process was wiped-out as a result of the landing-induced 'snow cloud' it produced. An Army (or perhaps even Marines) Gazelle, namely XW905, was sent to assist the Puma but upon landing suffered the same fate. A crew member aboard 905 said that the only piece of equipment still working post-crash was the aircraft's clock! With two aircraft and crews now snow-stranded an Army Air Corps Gazelle, XX378, was then dispatched to assist both of the downed aircraft, but, and perhaps somewhat unbelievably, it too suffered the same fate!

SA341H YU-HEN (cn.1079) as seen at Moscow's Tushino Airfield on 2nd February 2003 (Photo by Ignatiy Savranskiy)

Zis e Elipix, un piccolo regalo di natale!

SA341G 9Y-TFN (cn.1044) as seen at Miami's Opa-Locka Airport on 2nd October 1979 (Photo by Geoff Goodall)

I have to apologise beforehand because unlike my past offering of N76WH, I think you may both already have this, and if so then this will have to be a little gift to our readers instead .. although I am not so sure if our readers are as enamoured with 1970's Gazelles with a bit of orange paint on them as we are! However, I do have a consolation gift-photo for Zis (albeit not a Gazelle) on Winter Flying.

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Sadly, can't see the other way at the moment. But hey, why to wish one Gazelle when I can 'have' them all

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for the wonderful photo Sav.

I also do not have any details for an accident for XX405 but will do some digging, will also look into the Voss, Norway incident.

I am currently doing some further research on Gazelles, but only UK registered or based examples. I have been asked by someone if I know which Gazelles, from the original batch, are still stored at Stapleford. The same person also wants to know where any of the Gazelles from the second and third batches at Witham have been sold to or who to ? That will not be easy to find out ?

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Elipix, this information absolutely 'can' be obtained, with just a little help from one or two people. Will work on it.

• Gazelles des neiges de l'armΓ©e

ALAT 'Snow Pair' F-MGEU with F-MGED (By Patrick Gillis)

3RHC 'Snow Viviane Pair' F-MGAI with F-MGBY (By Julien Maire)

SA342M F-MCKV (cn.4171) as seen in northern Kosovo on 25th December 1999 (Photo courtesy of Avia member Fabrice)

With our great thanks to Avia member Fabrizio for the wonderful photo above depicting Kosovar children surrounding 'KV'!

Comment

• HB-ZEU at Samedan on January 11th, 2009 (Photo: Thomas Schmid)

Comment

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bellissima Zis! πŸ‘Œ

• As the close of another year draws nigh, so too a timely opportunity to recognise those who contribute towards our little community.

My great thanks go to wingmen Zis and Elipix for their regular contributions which are so encouraging, and my thanks also to Jos for keeping us up-to-date with the latest Gazelle registration news. To see Jos’ constantly updated AΓ©rospatiale Gazelle production list click here and for his latest Soko Gazelle production list click here.

Thank you also to XB and Stefano for their ongoing contributions as well as to new contributor Jakub. To see some of Jakub’s Gulf War Gazelle collection click here, here and here. To all who contribute to Shrieking Gazelles, I extend my great thanks.

For the past three years Avia member Joe Holman has been the sole supporter of our Facebook page having liked the majority of our posts – grazie mille Giuseppe! However, this year Joe has been joined by a small team of supporters, namely Elipix, Adriano, Sven Atkin, Christophe Quilfen, Xavier Romero, StΓ©phane Herard, Julian Mills, Eduardo Antonio and others. Thank you for your encouragement.

As with last year, this year’s 'Christmas Gazelle' (above) was created by Predrag, to whom we offer our great thanks. Predrag is the 'P' in MP Design Studio and if you would like to support those who support us, then why not consider buying a Gazelle simulator this Christmas. Click here to see the range of simulators on offer.

Speaking of supporting those who support us, it is my pleasure to point you in the direction of Avia’s co-founder Phil Croucher, better known to me as 'Filippo' and who in his generosity continues to host this site, grazie Filippo! Filippo has authored several pilot training manuals and aviation books with one of his best sellers being the highly commended 'Helicopter Pilot’s Handbook' which this year forms part of my Christmas reading. I have to say that I am deeply impressed by what I have read so far.

Click here to see a selection of material on offer from Filippo, including the Helicopter Pilot’s Handbook which is available in both hard copy as well as digital format.

Pursuing a PPL, CPL or ATPL? You can obtain all the necessary coursework through Filippo’s online training school, Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training. Click here to find out how Filippo may assist you.

For now, all that remains is for me to extend my very best wishes to each of our members and to all of our readers and visitors. My prayers are that you may be blessed with a peaceful Christmas and a new year filled with fresh opportunities.

Savoia

Ode to Jesus

I have never known a man so tender, loving or gentle as He.
                I have never known a man so strong, determined or disciplined as He.
                I have never known a man so completely lacking in fear or so filled with faith and courage.

He is wisdom personified, He is grace made flesh.
                He is kindness beyond description and mercy without compare.
                He is the discerning judge who delivers perfect justice.
                He is the responsible parent who disciplines with rigour, and His corrections hurt.

He is the lover of my soul and the captain of my salvation.
                He is my defender and my rock, the one to whom I look.
                He is the only one to whom I ascribe the phrase 'awesome'.

He was born in a manger, trained as a carpenter, lived as a saint and died as a thief.
                He is the one who promised eternal life to those who believe in Him.
                He is my Lord, He is my Saviour, He is my everything.

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well said Sav and a Merry Christmas to all and I would also like to thank everyone for their contributions great and small.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Elipix, thank you for all your contributions!

• Remembering Avia Members Departed

Comment

• Zishelix
                  Zishelix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Godspeed fellow Aviaforans

• This Christmas we have a feast of material for you to browse, including:
                • Winter Flying β€” SnowRangers, an Apache snow take-off and a winter BΓΆlkow on the current page and on previous pages a host of items including Japanese Snow Squirrels (also known as 'Yuki Risu'), MD900's in snow, a beautiful classic 47 in snow as well as a lovely Hiller in snow and much more!
                • Westland Scouts β€” Check out this year's posts on the Scout thread including G-SCTA's new livery and for the rarest of all Scouts, the Snow Scout, check page one.
                • Alouettes & Lamas β€” Here you will find 'Snowlouettes' (Alouette II's and III's in snow) as well as 'Lamas in Snow' together with our general offering of Alouette and Lama related news and information.
                • Snowliners β€” Watch a 747 take-off in falling snow from Hokkaidō in Japan, check out an Airbus A319 in a lovely BEA retro livery in falling snow at Birmingham in the UK, see a truly beautiful photo of an All Nippon 747, also in Hokkaidō, as well as a snow landing and more.
                • Snow Jets β€” Watch an F-18 (EA-18G) Growler releasing flares over snowy hills, watch the Swedish Air Force 'jet sledding', find out why a US Navy Lear Jet has her nose up in the air and more.
                • Heli-Shots β€” A selection of photos for helicopter photography lovers.
                • Milshots β€” For lovers of military helicopter photography including our latest offering, a US Air Force Snowhawk over Idaho.
                • Snow Trains β€” Time to go 'off-piste' now with a lovely collection of trains in snow. Hear the sound of diesel motors, the classic North American train horns and crossing bells (and sometimes an awful claxon too) and then watch a plough-train cast a delightful 'V' of freshly ploughed snow!
                • Heli-Dogs β€” Dogs love helicopters too, and here's the place to appreciate them, including our latest canine companion Russian Heli-Dog 'Puma' courtesy of Avia member Kirill.
                • Horses in Snow β€” Watch a Friesian enjoying the snow, horses on Pendle Hill in England and some horses who are less appreciative of the snow!
                • Sav's Sunday Post β€” Looking for something a little more meaningful? Then check out Sav's collection of Scripture quotes and sayings from Italian monks paired with photos of churches from around the world. And if you visit these pages then be sure go to page#1 post#1 and find out the reason for this thread.
                • Last, but by no means least, Aviafora's longest-running Christmas tradition .. that of watching (twice mind you) the Courchevel Citation!
                Wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful Christmas!

Comment

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hvala vam Zis!

• 2-WILD seen at Bad Voslau, Austria

I have visited Bad Voslau and there are plenty of helicopters there, AS350, 355 and A109s plus the usual Robinsons.

Is this the first ever Gazelle based in Austria ?

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lovely shot Elipix! πŸ‘ In the absence of any information to the contrary, it would seem that this may well be the first Gaz domiciled in Austria.

• The First Snow Gazelle?

SA341-04 F-ZWRK, I believe. French Pyrenees, an early 1970's photo.

Comment

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice Zis! I believe this probably was the very first Snow Gaz. β„οΈπŸšπŸ‘

• N341AS in the snow on 28/01/2017

Comment

• Zishelix
                    Zishelix commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice, thanks for sharing!

• Savoia
                    Savoia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lovely XB! πŸ‘ Buon Natale a te e alla tua famiglia!πŸŽ„β­πŸš

• HB-ZFD at Courchevel in March 2011 (Photo: Olmo Muller)

Comment

• SA341G RA-05706 (WA1802) as seen near St. Petersburg in 2018

Buona Festa di Santo Stefano!

Comment

• SA342M1 F-ZWBS

French Army SA342M1 3948 temporarily (in 2012) carried registration F-ZWBS, seen below at Marignane.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Interesting finding, thanks Jos!

• SA342M at Bareges Pyrenees in March 2006 (Photo: Mathieu Vandenavenne)

Comment

• Serbian Snow Gazelle as seen in January 2019

Montenegrin Snow Gazelle as seen in January 2019 / SA341H 12703 (cn.082)

Anti-poaching/security demonstration in
                        South Africa in December 2020

Comment

• A few photos of Paramount Aerospace Systems Party Ltd Gazelles on display at Polokwane Airport.... ZU-RMT and ZU-RMU. That only leaves one photo for me to find ZU-RMJ owned by Sheziphase Party Ltd.

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            These are super shots Elipix, bravo! πŸ‘

πŸ“· ⭐ πŸ‘Œ

• Zishelix
                            Zishelix commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice finding, thanks Helipix!

• F-HGUN

SA342J(S) F-HGUN (cn.1058) at Courchevel on 1st March 2013 (Photo: Fabienne Grillon)

An old regular before it's re-registration, is this a good paint scheme! It blends in so well with the background it must make it difficult to see for other aviators?

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            HGUN is a real treat πŸ¦Œβ­πŸ‘ and no season of Snow Gazelles would be complete without her, now N342ET of course.

Her paint scheme would certainly be the ideal camouflage for winter warfare in the Auvergne-RhΓ΄ne-Alpes region, as she certainly blends in with her background. However, given that she's a Gaz, I think she would be noticeable by virtue of her speed! Objects moving at Gaz-speed tend to be fairly obvious, even against similar backgrounds, unless of course they're flying straight at you, even more so when the sun is against you and low on the horizon.

The best thing her owner could do (from a safety point-of-view) would be to bless her with a set of high-vis blades and some fuse-mounted xenon strobes.

• Bosnian Snow Gaz NFI

Comment

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice one Zis! πŸ‘

Plenty of new Snow Gazelles this year, bravo!

• Another shot of F-HGUN

It seems to have acquired some extra brown, making it even more camouflaged ?

Comment

• xbdt
                            xbdt commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes the owner added the brown with a basic paint brush.

• Savoia
                            Savoia commented
                            Editing a comment
                            'π™”π™šπ™¨ π™©π™π™š π™€π™¬π™£π™šπ™§ π™–π™™π™™π™šπ™™ π™©π™π™š 𝙗𝙧𝙀𝙬𝙣 π™¬π™žπ™©π™ 𝙖 π™—π™–π™¨π™žπ™˜ π™₯π™–π™žπ™£π™© 𝙗𝙧π™ͺ𝙨𝙝.' πŸ˜†

When I first saw this I wondered whether someone had tipped a can of oil over her!
                        Working...
                        X