Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-CBGZ

SA341C G-CBGZ (cn WA1915 or 1923, take your pick) as seen at North Coates Airfield on 7th May 2016 (Photo: Simon Thomas)

Jos/Zis .. others, do you know the actual construction number for this aircraft for, as Fene Strong pointed out on the previous page, there is some ambiguity. Jos has her listed as 1923 on Rotorspot while the CAA website has her down as 1915.

Elsewhere On Aviafora:

N48284 wrote: Looking at my Dad's log, the CFS aircraft on the Sunday were XW870/F, XW898/G, XX396/N, XW910/K, XX374/L and XX406/P. Also, looking at the flying display programme 'The Gazelles' were there displaying on both days.
    Nice confirmation there Andy, grazie! Will add this to my photo notes. Do you have the dates of that weekend btw? Out of interest (and just to confirm) was your father in the RAF?

Savoia wrote: Presumably they did have some sort of airframe de-icing procedure for Gaz ops derived from their numerous cold weather exercises in Norway.
    Fene Strong replied: In Norway the aircraft were covered when not in use and then a heater blew warm air under the covers for about 30 minutes before taking the covers off.
    Grazie mille FS!

Plus ..
    Gendarmerie Royale Alouette II on Alouettes & Lamas
    Pakistan Air Force Ecureuil on Milshots
    Cheetah Reunion on Avia Animals

Comment

• Navy Helps Army with Gaz Mod

A team from the Royal Navy’s ‘emergency service’ has saved the day, and potentially £20m, with a speedy fix for the Army.

The Service Modifications team at 1710 NAS has developed a system for the Army Air Corps Gazelle helicopter to be adapted to airlift casualties from the battlefield.

And within two days of the modification being fitted it was used to transport a critically-ill casualty to hospital in Canada.

The modification, which took seven months from start to finish, rather than the normal year to 18 months, involves aircraft engineers removing the co-pilot’s seat and controls of the small Gazelle to enable the pilot to transport a medic and a casualty on a stretcher.

A plate is installed at the front of the cabin to enable a stretcher to be positioned the full length of the cockpit.

Each year the Army deploys to the British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS) in Alberta, Canada, for live firing exercises but needed to provide a helicopter medical evacuation facility to cover the large prairie – 1,042 square miles – roughly the size of Dorset and three times the size of the Army’s normal training areas at Salisbury Plain.

The team at 1710 NAS first met the Gazelle Project Team in September last year to design, develop, trial and manufacture a full medical evacuation facility for the helicopter to use in April this year. Such a contract with a commercial company could have cost up to £20m.

“This was an extremely challenging timeframe to deliver a unique capability in what is a very small area when one considers the size of a Gazelle,” said lead designer Dave Smith.

The design team introduced life-monitoring and life-support equipment normally found in a UK air ambulance as part of the modifications and trialled their designs with 667 Squadron Army Air Corps.

Mr Smith added: “The design team of Guy Pratt and Richard Dyke worked extremely closely with the users, including pilots and doctors, to ensure that it met their needs to give casualties the best chance of being recovered safely.

“They prepared the new panels and inserts on the squadron’s Computer Aided Design network, produced models on our 3D printer and then worked with the workshops to manufacture trial kits as part of the rapid prototyping process.”

In addition to providing the design, 1710 NAS also write the installation instructions for the air engineers on the front-line unit.

Leading Aircraft Engineering Technician Dan Bailey, who is new to the squadron, said: “This was my first modification and quite a challenge due to the timescale.

“Having had training on how to write technical English, which is very different to normal prose, and as a former engineering supervisor on a helicopter squadron, I was able to put myself in the place of the technicians installing this in Canada and so I tried to make the instructions as clear and as easy to follow as possible.”

After obtaining clearance for the Gazelle Medical Evacuation Modification to be fitted to the aircraft, Lieutenant Matt Wakefield, Deputy Service Modifications Manager, said: “The entire team came together to deliver a fantastic capability in a very short time frame, saving millions of pounds for Defence and enabling our troops to train as realistically as possible whilst also being safe in the knowledge that if there is a battlefield injury, the best possible capability will be on hand to help.”

Often referred to as the Jewel in the crown of the Fleet Air Arm, the Portsmouth-based squadron was established In 2010 to recover, sustain and enhance Naval aviation and is comprised of Royal Navy, Army and RAF personnel along with civilians.

The squadron’s deployable Repair Teams travel the world to fix Ministry of Defence helicopters, while ships and squadrons send in material fractures and fuel samples to the scientists in the Materials and Monitoring cell.
      http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and...copter-deisign

Comment

• Sounds interesting and I would like to see some photos.

However, as displayed on page 2, the Gazelle has possessed a stretcher capability for many years!

Originally posted by Zishelix View Post

Presenting Gazelle's MEDEVAC capabilities...

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, nice to see those shots from earlier in the thread Zis! I am searching for some images of the Army's new Gazelle stretcher modification but, as yet I haven't been able to obtain any. Will keep asking though.

Btw, it sounds as if the Navy guys didn't use the baggage compartment recess but have instead gone for an installation which is fully within the cabin area (a tight fit I would imagine). Didn't they do something similar with the Alouette II years back?

Could it be that the Army Gazelles have no baggage space available - perhaps taken up by essential 'first aid' stores - and by that I mean packs of beer!

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          This is why it would be interesting to see some pics of the modification made to the Army machines.

• Fene Strong
          Fene Strong commented
          Editing a comment
          This was indeed a great money saving exercise, well done!

In basic terms the patient is facing the other way to your photographs, with their feet in the front perspex. It took some time to convince the medical staff, but they now have access to the patient's head as they can sit in the remaining rear seat.

• Gents, is there a registry somewhere that details all UK registered Gazelles that are still flying? I am going through this site to try and list them, but there may be a quicker way? Thanks FS.

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Avia member md600driver has a list which, if not entirely complete, is largely complete. You could send him a PM.

I was working on a database listed by nation but .. as yet I haven't been able to complete this. See previous info on the following thread > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...zelle-database

Additionally you can check the current 'G' registered Gazelles by clicking here > http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapp...fttype=gazelle

However, there are (as you know) a number of Yugoslav, Hungarian and American registered birds also operating in the UK, and this is where Steve's list comes in handy.

• Originally posted by Fene Strong View Post
        Gents, is there a registry somewhere that details all UK registered Gazelles that are still flying? I am going through this site to try and list them, but there may be a quicker way? Thanks FS.
        You can find details at the CAA's GINFO database (see the link in Sav's reply) which provides information on all 44 of the English registered Gazelles. Some are having rebuild, but most are airworthy. The CAA website also allows you to check if the aircraft's airworthiness certificate is valid.

FYI, there are 4 on that list which are mine and which are being rebuilt at present.

Comment

• Fene Strong
          Fene Strong commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Guys, that confirmed what i had on my list, it seems there are a lot of lists being compiled, although mine started off as what happened to all the Ex UK Military Gazelles, but these things have a tendency to grow.

• Gazelle HT.2 G-ZZLE by Andrew Morley

G-ZZLE wearing its new paint scheme during test flying today! Just some decals left to put on and its once again a Shark!

Comment

• Zishelix
          Zishelix commented
          Editing a comment
          Great news! Many happy flight hours G-ZZLE!

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice Andy, well done!

• Fene Strong
          Fene Strong commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent, great to see and looking good, well done.

• Gazelle Registry info for Fene Strong

I also have a complete list of all Gazelles in the UK civil and Military. The information shows Registration, type, serial number, owner, c of a or permit expiry date and for those no longer airworthy the fate, i.e. accidents and transfers to other countries and the new registration.

Its currently on google docs but only available to a few people. I would have to add you to be able to see it. Its been a while since I have added anyone and I think its done by email address ?

Helipixman

Comment

• Fene Strong
          Fene Strong commented
          Editing a comment
          This would be very useful if you can work out how I can get into it.

• UK Army Stretcher Mod

We now have some shots of the RN 'inspired' modification to the Army Air Coprs Gazelles for an 'in cabin' stretcher:

XX453

SA341B XX453 (cn WA1454) as seen at Salisbury Plains Training Area in June 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Astazou View Post
          Interesting ... F-GIBU is now N342WF and is also registered in Wilmington Delaware. It looks like someone in the area (most likely the same person) has N342ET as well.

Obviously someone who is a fan of the very rare ....stretched SA342J Gazelles.
          Well it isn't Lynn Walton who owns N342WF (Walton Farms).

In the USA only American citizens or corporations based in the US can register aircraft on the FAA register.

Wilmington is a area where you can set up a corporation very easily. I know lots of Brits that have done something similar. As a result, an aircraft which is registered in Wilmington could in fact reside anywhere in the world, even in Switzerland!

She may not even have a new owner !!!!

Comment

• For Admin:

Are there any tweaks that can be made to website to make posts refer to the question or topic asked, as posts like this one below are very confusing and leave one wondering!

Originally posted by Gaz Engineer:

She is still with MW Helicopters.

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve, you will need to help me out here a wee bit! The comment you refer to appears beneath post #1909 on the previous page, the link to which is here > http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=5656#post5656

What exactly is it that you would like to see?

On a related issue, Phil and I do have plans to re-vamp the site's software in the future, as our experience with the current programme has been less than ideal.

• GazEngineer
              GazEngineer commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a reply to a post to do with where G-BCHM is.
              Unfortunately this website doesn't display very well on my phone

• Update from Montenegro

Deputy Air Force Commander Colonel Namik Arifović (47), who was seriously injured on Friday when the "Gazelle" helicopter he was flying in crashed near Komanski bridge in Podgorica is still in a coma, although in a slightly more stable condition said Zoran Jovančević, chief of the Intensive Care Unit at the General Hospital of Montenegro.

Lieutenant Colonel Miroljub Antanasijević (46), who was also injured in the crash, will today be transferred to the orthopedics department, said Jovančević.

Montenegro's Deputy Air Force Commander, Col. Arifović, together with Lt. Col. Antanasijević were flying in the Gazelle helicopter (an HN45M) when it crashed near Komanski bridge in the village of Gornja Gorica, during a regular flight training.

Yesterday, Montenegro's Ministry of Defense established a commission to inspect and report as to why the aircraft crashed.
            http://www.cdm.me/english/arifovic-s...thopedics-ward

Comment

• G-CBGZ

Questions have been asked regarding the correct c/n for G-CBGZ, given by the CAA as 1915, whereas others have it as 1923. The same question has been asked several times on various other news groups.

She was initially registered with the CAA with c/n 1923 on 31-Oct-2001, but the c/n was changed into 1915 on 7-Jun-2002.

As far as I know 1915 was Gazelle HT3 serial ZB628, which was w/o in an accident on 9-Sep-1993. See the MoD accident summary at:
              http://www.ukserials.com/pdflosses/m...0909_zb628.pdf

Therefore I do believe that G-CBGZ in fact is 1923. It should not be that difficult to check the data plate. Anyone?

Comment

• N48284
                N48284 commented
                Editing a comment
                Next time its in Bourne Park for maintenance I intend to do just that.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                Grazie Jos for this explanation. It would be great if Andy could confirm this. Great stuff guys!

• Gary Gazelle
                Gary Gazelle commented
                Editing a comment
                commented on the previous page but the owner confirmed that it's 1915.

• YU-HWF

SA341G(S) YU-HWF (cn 1407) as seen at Denham Aerodrome in April 2015 (Photo: Clive Glaister)

Comment

• SA341D G-CBSI (cn WA1736) as seen at Dunsfold Aerodrome on 29th August 2015

Dunsfold is of course where the once popular Top Gear studio is located.

Comment

• New Views of HB-XFW and HB-XMU

Air Grischa's SA341G HB-XFW (cn WA1124) as seen in Switzerland in 1976

This Westland built bird was originally delivered to Rogers Aviation in the UK in 1974 when she flew as G-BBSH. I do have a photo of her from this period, and which I shall try and dig up.

Air Zermatt SA342J(S) HB-XMU (cn 1470) as seen in Switzerland c..1980's (Photo: Gerold Biner)

This stretched Aérospatiale example was (I think) initially delivered to the US. From there she went to Switzerland, then to France and finally to the UK. She has more recently been registered as N342WF.

Comment

• HA-LFA

Start and depart, a little trip over Budapest, return to land and shut down:

Comment

• SA342L1 HN45 Gama 12912 (cn 125) as seen over the Pešter Plateau in Serbia during Exercise 'Morava 2016' on 2nd June 2016 (Photo: Dimitrije Ostojic)

Comment

• Rotorspot
                        Rotorspot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You may find that this in fact is serial 12912 (painted on top of fin), c/n 125 (painted on fuselage).

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie Jos. Now amended accordingly.

I do so appreciate when these defence forces display this information on the craft's exterior - even if I sometimes fail to look at it!

• SA341G N341AH (cn 1032) as seen in the US in 1977

This craft was eventually returned to France where she became F-GESG.

During her time Stateside she was frequently used as a 'film bird'.

Comment

• Zishelix
                        Zishelix commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The s/n 1032 actually „acted“ in three movies: the Flood in 1976, The Gauntlet in 1977 and The Cat From Outer Space in 1978.

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ah ha, grazie. One day we shall have to put together a compilation of clips from her various acting assignments!

• YU-HWF

SA341G(S) YU-HWF (cn 1407) as seen at Welshpool Airport in Wales on 5th June 2016 (Photo: Brian Nicholas)

For my latest referendum rant click here.

Comment

• SA341B XZ340 (cn WA1691) from the Army Air Corps 'BATUS Flight' in Canada as seen at Calgary Airport on 11th June 2016

SA341B XZ340 (cn WA1691) from the Army Air Corps 'BATUS Flight' in Canada as seen departing Calgary Airport on 11th June 2016

Comment

• In relation with previously mentioned N341AH, a cropped frame from The Gauntlet movie with Clint Eastwood.

Comment

• SA341D G-CBSI ex-XZ934 (cn WA1736) with G-ZZLE ex-XX436 (cn WA1402) at Ha'penny Green on 18th June 2016
                            (Photo: Rob Carter)

Comment

• Fene Strong
                              Fene Strong commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good to see them looking clean and shinny, Thanks for the photo.

• Savoia
                              Savoia commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Just a thought FS, depending on where you live in the UK, but have you considered visiting Bourne Park? Also, I don't know whether the Gazelle Squadron would be welcoming of occasional voluntary contributions from Gazelle technicians (I suspect so) and that too is another idea.

Perhaps if Andy reads this he may have some comments and would hopefully welcome you (and any other Aviaforans) who may wish to visit Bourne Park.

• N48284
                              N48284 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, we can accommodate visits. Just private message me and I can sort that out. That'll be me in the left front seat of XZ934. We were enroute to RAF Cosford for the airshow and stopped in to rv with the Sqn Cabri.

Andy.
                              Last edited by N48284; 23rd June 2016, 18:28.

• Gazelle Viviane

SA342M Viviane GAN (cn 1865) as seen at Le Luc-Le Cannet Airport on 4th May 2016 (Photo: Federico La Sala)

Seen flying without her transmission and engine cowlings.

Comment

• Montenegro Crash Update

Air Force helicopter pilot Miroljub Antanasijević, who was injured in a Gazelle helicopter crash on June 10 in Podgorica, has been released from hospital for continuing treatment from his home while Deputy Commander of the Air Force, Colonel Namik Arifović, remains in hospital as confirmed by the Ministry of Defense.

The Ministry did not however say whether the pilots are able to talk or whether they spoke to them about what happened to the helicopter before the crash.

The cause of the helicopter crash, says the MoD, will be known by the end of next week.

"The Ministry of Defense, in cooperation with the competent state institutions, has taken all measures in order to establish the causes of the helicopter crash. June 26th was given as deadline for the release on an initial report. Also, a complete investigation into the helicopter crash is being led by the State Prosecutor's Office" the ministry said.

None of the Air Force's 14 helicopters are be cleared to fly until the MoD finds out why the Gazelle helicopter crashed.

"All helicopters are grounded until further notice, in accordance with the Guidelines for the Prevention and Investigating of aircraft accidents, which advises prohibition of flying during investigation. It defines a temporary ban on flying the aircraft type that suffered the crash until the cause of the accident is found, as well as a no-fly decision for all subordinate units", explained the MoD.
                              http://www.cdm.me/english/pilot-anta...before-june-26

Comment

• Independence Day Gazelle

Sav's Independence Day message.

Comment

• Will the UK's exit from Europe mean that the YU registered Gazelles will eventually be outlawed ?

Tarmac

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarman View Post
                                    Will the UK's exit from Europe mean that the YU registered Gazelles will eventually be outlawed ?

Tarmac
                                    YU reg Gazelles are not Europe/EASA anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference.

Comment

• Tarman
                                      Tarman commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      What about the Hungarian registered ones ?
                                      The point I was trying to make was that there are European registered aircraft being used daily in the UK being maintained and overhauled in line with the country of registration's legislation. Brexit has potentially, opened up a can of worms in this respect, as it has with the likes of Ryanair with it's Irish registered aircraft.

• N48284 wrote:
                                    Yes, we can accommodate visits. Just private message me and I can sort that out.

That'll be me in the left front seat of XZ934. We were enroute to RAF Cosford for the airshow and stopped in to rv with the Sqn Cabri.

Andy.
                                    Great stuff Andy, grazie mille!

Hope you had a good show at Cosford.

FS, if you do decide to take up Andy's offer and visit Bourne Park, please take a photo of any Gazelles you see there. Even a mobile phone shot will do!

SA342L HA-LFQ (cn 1854) as seen at Kettlewell in Yorkshire in August 2014 (Photo: David Wooler)

Comment

• Helidax

Gazelles in the Helidax hangar in Aquitaine awaiting re-allocation from training duties

Comment

• Gaz n' Scout

Army Air Corps SA341B ZB666 (cn WA1933) as seen at RAF Mildenhall on 27th May 1989

This unfortunately registered Gazelle fell victim to misfortune when in February 2000 she was written-off while on exercise in Kenya.

Comment

Working...
                                        X