No announcement yet.

Shrieking Gazelles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During Christmastide there are plenty of photos to browse and videos to watch on Aviafora, including:
    • A Lama, an Alouette II and an Alouette III in the snow on Alouettes & Lamas
    • A Colibri, two Bell 407's and a Bell 212 on Heli-Skiing & Winter Flying. And while visiting this thread, be sure and check out post #10 to watch a Russian Bölkow performing a running take off in the snow
    • Falcons, Gulfstreams and a Lear Jet on Snow Jets. While on Snow Jets, be sure and check out post #5 for a sample of Swedish Air Force sledding!
    • A Hiller 12B and a Bell 47 in the Swiss snow from 1955 as well as Air Zermatt's first helicopter (a JetRanger) from 1968 all in the snow on Rotary Nostalgia
    • Care for something a little different? Then why not check out 'Snow Trains' in the Departure Lounge. Some great shots of trains literally ploughing though the snow, plus some delightful scenery surrounding Switzerland's 'Glacier Express'
    • Or how about more than a dozen balloons over a snow covered Turkey on Christmas Day? If this conjures-up party balloons tied to a turkey-filled baking tray sitting in a pile of snow, you aren't to be blamed, but should check out this lovely shot on Best Ballooning Pics
    • Interested in a little inspiration? Read the latest Sunday Post and check out the links to a Christmas Song as well as a short Christmas Film
    • And last, but by no means least, no Christmas on Aviafora can be complete without watching (at least once) the Courchevel Citation on Business & Corporate Aviation
    Wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      I believe it was 'XB' who shared with me that Guernsey do not presently accept craft registered on a Permit to Fly. I may be wrong.
      Yes, only aircraft with a type data certificate, but you can use American rules, UK/EASA rules, and I believe Canada and somewhere in South America. Ex-UK mil is a no as they don’t have a type data certificate.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all! Safe flying and keep the gauges in the green!

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Grazie Stefano! But I anticipate the question which says: 'But Stefano has the AAC's last flying Alouette II on the 2 reg!'. Now I think you did explain this before, and if I'm not mistaken its something to do with the Alouette II having a type certificate which pre-dates its entry into military operations .. or something like that.

• Merry X-mas to all and keep the main rotor on top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Savoia View Post
      Grazie Stefano! But I anticipate the question which says: 'But Stefano has the AAC's last flying Alouette II on the 2 reg!'. Now I think you did explain this before, and if I'm not mistaken its something to do with the Alouette II having a type certificate which pre-dates its entry into military operations .. or something like that.
      The Alouette II was manufactured as the 313, 3130 or 313B, all type certified aircraft. Also the 318, 3180 with the Astazou engine.

The Gazelle was manufactured as the 341 B C D E F G H and as the 342 J K L L1 M M1 and Vivian, only the 341 G and 342 J have a type certificate, all the rest are classed as non-type certificate or military types and can only be used under permit to fly/experimental.

The type certified aircraft are virtually the same as the non-certified types, but if manufactured as non-type certified it’s impossible to change their classification.

Comment

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! Nicely explained, grazie!

• Helipixman
        Helipixman commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice explanation...

I guess another ex Military machine registered in Guernsey 2-WESX must have a type certification as its already been registered in UK as G-HANA and then using two Ghana registrations 9G-BOB and 9G-AEL. There is also another Wessex just registered in the UK G-WSEX

• Savoia
        Savoia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, because the Wessex was engaged in public transport flights in the UK, specifically with Bristows in the North Sea, G-AZBY, G-ASWI, G-ATBZ, G-ATCA, G-ATSC, G-AVNE, G-AWOX, G-AZCA, G-BAWJ etc.

• Serbian Snow Gazelle

French Snow Gazelle

Comment

• A Serbian Gazelle (Igor Salinger)

An old favourite C-GDUG

F-HGUN

Comment

• Savoia
          Savoia commented
          Editing a comment
          Some lovely Snow Gazelles there Elipix, bravo amico!

I'm enjoying the Serbian 342L1 (YU-HFF) complete with snow skiis with red tops. My understanding is that this bird flies with the Serbian police. Perhaps Zis will confirm once he returns from the 'hills'.

I don't believe I've seen this shot of C-GDUG before .. its a nice one! Perhaps XB can confirm if this was taken at the home of Monsieur Tercier?

• SA341C RA-05708 (WA1045) in Abkhazia

Comment

• A Gazelle CIM (Classroom Instruction Model) has recently arrived at Bourne Park with the intention of using it for static display at shows. It is marked as TAD.002 and was previously noted at Hartlepool College of Further Education. (see photo below at Hartlepool)

Other Gazelle news.....

XZ290 currently at Vector Aerospace, Fleetlands (ex AAC 5 Regiment - 665 Squadron)
          XZ326 Returned to AAC 667 Squadron from Vector Aerospace
          XZ340 currently at Vector Aerospace, Fleetlands (ex 29 Flight BATUS)

Comment

• Savoia
            Savoia commented
            Editing a comment
            Grazie mille Elipix!

• Zishelix
            Zishelix commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for info, Helipix!

• SA341 F-ZWRK (04) c. late 60's

Flashback Friday on Snow Gazelles!: Was this the first Snow Gazelle? We have no way of being sure, but certainly she was among the first.

SA341 F-ZWRL (02) with SA341G F-WTNV (cn.1006) in the French Alps in the early 70's

Comment

Comment

• Savoia
              Savoia commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie mille Zis e Felice Anno Nuovo!

• Young Eagles interview a Gazelle pilot (then) Lt Hannah Gould.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helipixman View Post
              What's better than a Snow Gazelle?
              Hmm .. its a fair question, and one which I have given considerable thought. After much refection, I have come to the conclusion that the only thing better than a Snow Gazelle .. is a Snow Gazelle with a dog or dogs!

The 'Cyrilcraft' SA341B RA-05709 (WA1184) as seen by the Bratsk Reservoir (top two photos) in November and at Mostovoy Airfield in November 2018 (Photos by Kirill)

The canine in the bottom photo is the Mostovoy Airfield dog, and who as it happens, is named after a French helicopter, namely the Lama. We therefore present here photographic evidence of a Lama guarding a Gazelle!

Our thanks to Avia member Kirill for these lovely shots!

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Always like your contribution to the thread, Kirill. Thanks!

• Snow and ice... dogs are in the hangar

but cant upload....

Comment

• Zishelix
                Zishelix commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello GFLYER and welcome aboard! Thanks for join us, looking forward to see your Gazelle photos

Please if possible to forward the photos on Savoia's PM. He will help you to post them as soon as he come back on the forum.

• Savoia
                Savoia commented
                Editing a comment
                GFlyer .. a warm welcome to Aviafora!

Instructions on posting photos can be found here: http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...es-on-aviafora

If that doesn't work, just email your photos to aviafora1@gmail.com and the photos will be added to your post above.

Brgds

Savoia

• Helipixman
                Helipixman commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome GFLYER Just had a look at your profile and it tells of quite a career in aviation particularly with the Gazelle. Would love to see the pictures of the Stretched 341G and stretched 342 IFR. As Savoia mentions he would be more than happy to post them for you.

You mention in the early days what I assume are Cessnas, the 320 and 340. If so we do not have many 320 Skyknights left flying over here in the UK. I flew in Cessna 340s around the UK, absolutely loved them although my favourite is the Cessna 310Q (air racing was fun), babbling on again not helicopters.....

Helipixman

• Heli Cap SA341G F-BVUI (cn.1122) as seen on the Tignes glacier in the Rhône-Alpes in 1978 (Photo by Frédéric Rolland)

Polizei Niedersachsen SA342J D-HOPP (cn.1695) as seen in Germany c.1980's (Photo by Detlef Böntgen)

D-HOPP is now a member of Benegaz, flying as 2-WILD.

SA342J F-HGUN (cn.1058) as seen at Courchevel in March 2016 (Photo by Patrick Gisle)

Snow Gazelles are of course welcome at any time on Shrieking Gazelles, but Wednesday 2nd January will mark the final day of our 'concentrated' season of Snow Gazelles.

So, if you have any more Snow Gazelles to offer, or if you wish to post some from our album .. please post away!

Comment

• HB-ZEU at Sameden (St. Moritz) Oberengadin in February 2004 (photo: Anton Heumann)

Comment

• Helipixman
                  Helipixman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I assume HB-ZEU may be in storage somewhere ? It is still officially registered to a Paul Schneiter (17.6.17) at an address in Gebenstorf. Had a look at the address on google maps and it show a garden full of cars (stored) so maybe the Gazelle is there also, but hopefully inside.

He has also owned two Lamas, HB-XMR & HB-XTU both of which are de-registered and either for rebuild or spares ?

I remember the photo showing it on a low loader way back on 28.10.13 so where is it now ?

Any ideas ?
                  Last edited by Helipixman; 2nd January 2019, 20:23. Reason: Addition of information about Lamas

• Rotorspot
                  Rotorspot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is no recent report of HB-ZEU. I have heard that she may indeed be stored in the collection of Paul Schneiter at Würenlingen. He also owns SE313B Alouette 2 HB-XQT.

• Savoia
                  Savoia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grazie Jos!

• SA342J F-GFDG (cn.1204) as seen at Courchevel on 13th January 1989 (Photo Zishelix Collection)

As Zis knows, this shot of 'FDG' is one of my favourite Snow Gazelles, even if the quality isn't tip-top.

RA-1347G as seen in Russia in February 2017

(Photo by Avia member Warty)

Comment

• ~ 2018 Snow Gazelles Season ~

Final Day

RA-05708 in Abkhazia

RA-05706 near St. Petersburg

RA-05703 landing

Snow Gazelles Returning Home to Roost!

RA-05706 landing near St. Petersburg

RA-05703 landing

Comment

• G-CBZL Cancelled from Register

G-CBZL (WA2010) was officially cancelled from the register on 21.12.18 and described as permanently withdrawn from use !!! (Doubt it was going to be used again after its crash on 22.11.03, quoted as substantial damage).

Last I heard from the owner was that the airframe went to an engineer somewhere, does anyone know where this one is ?

Comment

• Savoia
                      Savoia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hopefully we can track down the airframe Elipix.

An excerpt from the accident report reads: 'However, as he commenced transition to the hover, he suddenly saw cables directly ahead. He applied collective and rearward cyclic control but struck the cables; the tail section of G-CBZL detached after being struck by the main rotor and the subsequent ground contact was hard.'
                      https://assets.publishing.service.go...pdf_027264.pdf

• Zishelix
                      Zishelix commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for info, Helipix!

• Heli-Dog 'Artouste' as seen at Eli-Fly's Esine base in Brescia

Further up the page we were blessed with a lovely photo from Kirill, of Russian heli-dog 'Lama' who we saw guarding a Gazelle. In response, I thought it was only fitting to reveal Italian heli-dog 'Artouste' who lives at Eli-Fly's Esine base in northern Italy where he is responsible for guarding Lamas!

A drawing of XX453 as seen at Boscombe Down in 2017

SA341G G-SFTH (cn.1155) as seen at Southampton's Eastleigh Airport in 1986

Comment

• Gazelle Squadron's G-ZZEL (WA1152) at Cosford Air Show in June 10th, 2018 (Photo by Grahame Wills)

Another one interesting photo of the same machine here.

Comment

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bravo Zis, that's a nice shot!

• Originally posted by Rotorspot View Post
                      There is no recent report of HB-ZEU. I have heard that she may indeed be stored in the collection of Paul Schneiter at Würenlingen. He also owns SE313B Alouette 2 HB-XQT.
                      Paul has the Gazelle and Alouette from Mr Graf.

Hopefully the Gazelle will come to Crabtree early in 2019, maybe even the Alouette!

Steve

Comment

• Helipixman
                        Helipixman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's wonderful news Steve

• Savoia
                        Savoia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bravo Stefano! She surely has one of the most unique construction numbers!

• SA341G G-RALE (cn.) as seen at Middelburg (Midden-Zeeland) Airport in the Netherlands c. late 80's (Photo by Marijn Aarts)

Seen here apparently visiting the 'Avia Shop'!

Comment

• ETPS SA341D XZ936 (WA1743) as seen at Boscombe Down in the company of a Lynx on 9th June 1990 (Photo by Malcolm Clarke)

Comment

• Wishing all of our Russian readers a very Merry Christmas!

To find out why Russia celebrates Christmas Day on 7th January, click here.

Comment

• SA342L HA-LFQ (cn.1854) as seen at RAF Waddington on 6th July 2014 (Photo by Keith Pisani)

Comment

• SA341G(S) YU-HHH (cn.1307) as seen at Stapleford in January 2019 (ex G-OLDH)

An unidentified 'black cab' being overhauled in the MW Hangar in January 2019

Unidentified GazSquad Gaz as seen over Somerset in June 2018 (Photo by Simon Hackett)

Not too much information accompanying this shot, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think the chap on the left could be someone called Craig; I think I recognise the shoulders.

Comment

• Helipixman
                                Helipixman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Have had a look at the black Gaz cab and its got me stumped ?

I thought it would be easy to identify, not many have the windscreen wipers fitted. Looked through my photos and nothing matches so far. Will keep looking though.

Helipixman

• xbdt
                                xbdt commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Why has someone removed my posts? It is not the first time!

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ha ha .. fear not XB .. your posts are not removed .. I would never do such a thing!

However, vBulletin (whose software we are using at present) automatically crops the comments section so that a maximum of three comments are displayed. To see the earlier comments go to the top of this comments section where you will see that the top 'bar' (in blue) will indicate (on the left side) the total number of comments (8 at the time of writing) then look at the right side where you will see the number of comments on display, ie. the last three (in this case numbers 6 through 8). Next to these numbers you will see a small black 'up arrow' within a small white box, if you click on this, then the previous comments will appear.

As mentioned before, we are going to overhaul the forum up ahead, and will introduce new software which will be much easier to use and which will also provide a user-friendly photo hosting and uploading feature.

• Gazelle Pre-Flight Check

Comment

• Savoia
                                Savoia commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ah yes, an oldie — but a good'un!

I've always thought this driver bears a passing resemblance to the actor Brian Cox.

• New in South Africa
                              ZU-RNV SA341F2, c/n 1608, ex ALAT 1608; registered 11-Dec-2018 to Aerospatiale SA34X P/L

Change of Ownership USA/UK
                              N341GG SA341G, c/n 1181; registered 03-Jan-2019 to Southern Aircraft Consultancy Inc Trustee (Bungay, Suffolk)

Comment

• Zishelix
                                Zishelix commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks for info, Jos!

• G-CBKD

A trio of shots depicting ex-Navy bird 1130.

SA341C G-CBKD (WA1130) as seen at an unidentified location on 12th August 2007 (Photo by Paula Bate)

SA341C G-CBKD (WA1130) as seen at Sleap Airfield in Shropshire on 1st May 2011 (Photo by Anthony Williamson)

SA341C G-CBKD (WA1130) as seen at Stapleford Aerodrome on 2nd December 2011 (Photo by David Reeves)

Former Royal Navy cab, ex-XW86, built in 1973 and assigned to 705 Squadron at Culdrose in July 1979. She flew with the Culdrose designator CU-50, and has been registered to 'Flying Scout' in Montgomery, Wales since 2003.

Any clues as to the unidentified location of the first shot, and does anyone have a shot of this bird from 2018?

Comment

• G-CBKD

Not sure about the location of top shot, could it be Welshpool, nearest airfield to owners.

Why a shot in 2018 ? I saw it in the hangar at Stapleford Tawney minus rotors in September 2017 as per photo below.

Comment

• Savoia
                                  Savoia commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Lovely stuff Elipix! I should not be surprised that you have a recent shot of her, and that is what I was looking for in the reference to 2018, as I was wondering whether she was still active. Her owner seems to have had her for a fair while now.

Also, you are completely correct on the ID of her location in the first shot, its Welshpool. Grazie mille Elipix!

• Helipixman
                                  Helipixman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I note from my records that G-CBKD had 8,388 hrs as of 12.1.16 and then 8,390 as of 16.4.18 according to G-info.

She has a valid permit until 15.4.19.
                              Working...
                              X